Information Please

Well RadioShack called today and my Magellan Platinum seems to be unrepairable. Said they did not have the parts to fix it. I will need to talk to the manager on monday.

I did ask about a replacement and was told they had the sport Track and Garman IQ as replacements.

What are your thoughts on these.

I am also thinking about getting them to send it to the Co. and getting it fixed there.

When I got this I got the map package, unit, extra mem., and extended warrenty. about $400 - 500 total package. Yes I know but I wanted it then not later.

What other mods are there out there that meet or exceed the platinum?

Let me hear from you.

Thanks,

Shadow's

As far as the Sportrak Map, which is currently undergoing evaluation by Thales for repair, not happy with it at all.

Even after updating the software to ver 5.34 and doing all the happy little things Magellan says you should do when the Sportrak Map "forgets" where the satellites are, the system still doesn't work. In fact, before sending it off, my EPE was anywhere from 45 feet to over 500 feet. Not good for geocaching.

After going through this board, I found that I was not alone in this happening.

Since my GPSr is out of warranty, I'm sure that when Thales (Magellan's parent company in case you were wondering) tells me that the cost of repairing the unit exceeds the cost of replacing it, I will do so.

However it does look like it will not have the Magellan logo on the case when I once again go out geocaching.

IvxIV,

I liked it but Radio Shack I guess no longer carries it. So I hope I just get a refund but I bet that I get store credit. That is why I was asking the questions on what they have

I guess my question is what is out there that is around the cost of the platinum and is as good or better?

Thanks

Shadow's

Well RadioShack called today and my Magellan Platinum seems to be unrepairable.  Said they did not have the parts to fix it.  I will need to talk to the manager on monday.

Whats wrong with sending unit to Thales.....

Didn't know RS did repairs.... Sounds phony to me.... Demand unit back... It IS yours!

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn
IvxIV,

I liked it but Radio Shack I guess no longer carries it. So I hope I just get a refund but I bet that I get store credit. That is why I was asking the questions on what they have

I guess my question is what is out there that is around the cost of the platinum and is as good or better?

OK, I understand your situation better now. I'd still go along with the advice to try Magellan's service if you are still under the manufacturer warrantee. The simple fact (ok, I guess it's opinion) is that there *isn't* anything RS can offer you comparable to the Meridian...unless you want to consider an explorist or perhaps some of the Lowrance models. There's not a lot out there with SD card capability, on which I personally place a premium.

Its out of the factory and on the extended.

So If I want a new one I will need to ask for another platinum or a different one that they carry. I hope that I can get a refund but maybe I can have them order another brand or somthing.

Question is still what others rank up there with my mod.?

Thanks,

Rick

Well I would like to update this post.

I recieved the new unit and have had some problems that I did not have with the other on but have been working around them till yesterday. Had taken the batteries out to charge and when I replaced them I turned the unit on and no signals again from the sat.'s Not very happy right now with the company.

Second question

Do any of yu know the site address, on yahoo, for the magellan chat or what ever its called?

Thanks.