Weekly Cache Notification (bug?)

hmarq

Recently a new series went live near me; one example in the series is Soldier's Story #8 it shows a placed date of 3/27/2005 ... yet it didn't show in my 3/31/2005 cache notification list. And I believe I know why ... it wasn't *approved* until after 3/31/2005; I'm cool with things so far.

The bug I believe is that theses caches didn't show in my 4/7/2005 report either. So it seems if the placement/approval window straddles the notification window, it will never be sent in the notification email.

I suspect that if the date approved is tracked in the dataset, that using that date instead of date placed would fix the problem.

Another solution would be that if your cache takes a while to approve, when it does get approved if you want it to go out in the notification, change the date hidden to the date it was approved.

Yikes, that would require placer level participation ... why not have the computer do it.

In hindsight I recognize the solution is a little more complicated than I first wrote, as event caches that are 'pre-dated' would then show in the notification when approved rather than during the week of the event itself -- so perhaps the query would just need to be tweaked such that if approval_date > placed _date and approval_date between (notification_date_start, notification_date_end), include in email ... that would fix the issue I describe, while letting the pre-dated caches work as they do now.

-OR-

If the date_approved isn't tracked, it could rewrite the placed_date to the approved_date during the approval process iff approved_date > placed_date ... I recognize that this would be a change to a greater number of records and process, but from the finder's perspective would be more accurate/meaningful in the event of a long approval cycle ... just thinking out loud, I have no idea what's in the codebase here.

Edited by hmarq

Just noting that event caches show up in all weekly notifications up to and including the week of the event. The system looks backwards at the date for one week. Since the event has a "date placed" that's in the future, it appears in the notification, regardless of the date it was entered into the system or listed by the reviewer. (I'm not sure, but I think there's an outside limit to that -- if a national or regional event like GeoWoodstock or Midwest GeoBash is listed six months in advance, I'm not sure that the notifications start up right away.)

Yeah, this would probably cure all ills, assuming of course it doesn't have the same date logic :(

I must have just been searching for the wrong stuff when looking for info, I was trying to be specific in my search and use "weekly cache notification" ... and came up blank ... using just 'notification' gave way too many falses to wade through, so I started this thread.

Now all that said, unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible), this really should be a quick query fix to the current weekly notification script, rather than waiting for the new, improved, golly-gee-whiz isn't this great new notification system (which sounds nice by the way).