newbie question about Easy GPS

GO 4X4 IT

Yes, it works well with the etrex.

I find where it really shines is it allows you to download waypoints from the web site, then send them to your receiver.

For example, I use pocket queries (I think you need to be a charter member) on this site to send me a list of the nearest 100 caches that I haven't found. This list is emailed to me, which I open with EasyGPS, then send them to my receiver.

This not only saves time, but it allows you to do impromptu caching...if you have some time to blow, just pull out your GPS and find the nearest waypoint to your current location.

Of course, it helps to know what that waypoint is (ie, a cache, a virtual, etc). It really helps to couple this with a file you download to a Palm-type device. So you find the nearest waypoints with your GPS, read about them with your Palm, pick your target and go!

George

WooooHooooo! I used to be a Ragin' Cajun. I attended USL. I now know that it is UL-L...

Anyway, I agree with everything nincehelser said. EasyGPS is a good waypoing managment tool that gives you sorting, routing, and naming options that are a lot easier to do with EasyGPS than it is with your unit.

If you find you like the sport/hobby/obsession, I also HIGHLY recommend ExpertGPS. It add some neat mapping functionality that I use very often while caching.

"Of course, it helps to know what that waypoint is (ie, a cache, a virtual, etc). It really helps to couple this with a file you download to a Palm-type device. So you find the nearest waypoints with your GPS, read about them with your Palm, pick your target and go!"

I have a really dumb question - what do you use to download the cache info to your Palm?

I'll assume you have a Palm docking station already set up on your computer.

If you use pocket queries, you get a file that you download and read with your Palm, along with the file you download to your receiver.

Basically, you just open that palm file, and it will be queued to download to your palm the next time you hot-synch. Once it is in the palm, you use an application called Mobilpocket (limited free version is available) that you use to read the information.

The only times I've found this doesn't work well is if the cache author sets up clues as graphics on the cache page....since the graphics don't transfer to the palm, you're stuck. Also, a few cache pages that play with fonts and color behave badly on the palm. Luckly, these problem cache pages are few and far between.

There are other methods to get cache info into your palm. Some people use programs like AvantGo that download fairly accurate copies of the actual web pages into your palm.

George