NEWBIE ? - What's a good entry level GPS that I can use with my laptop?

CopperAddict

Good morning all!

My first post to the forum!

What is a good entry level GPS, that I can use for both GeoCaching, and attach to my laptop for guidance purposes when needed. I would also like to be able to download maps into it as well.

thanks,

Pete

Pete Pontius

pete.pontius@verizon.net

A Garmin etrex would probably work for you. I used to run Delorme Street Atlas on my laptop, and later ran Solus on my Palm IIIc, both hooked up to an Earthmate. The Earthmate had trouble keep satelite lock under trees, or around buildings. The etrex I used to have, kept a much better lock under the same conditions. I also used it to find my first 70+ caches. You can find it on sale new for around $100.00, but you might find it cheaper on ebay, or some other places online.

Etrex Venture comes with the cable where the Etrex "Yellow" does not. So if you picked up the Yellow plus the cable you'd be close to the price of the Venture. Since the Venture has a better screen and more features, why not spend the extra $20 out right and get a better GPS!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

I'd also recommend the Etrex Venture. My wife and I started Geocaching about a year ago and we've found that this unit does everything you'd want it to do. As mrcpu mentioned, it comes with the cable so you can download the caches from the GeoCache site and load them into your GPS with the freeware EasyGPS. Be sure to get the EasyGPS software - it's a must have. Welcome and Good Luck!

I recommend the eTrex Legend. Mine was new for $220 including S/H. It's more or less the same as the Venture but included 8MB of memory instead of 1MB which alows for downloading of MapSource maps (at additional cost). Any other map software will work on your laptop but will not transfer to your Venture.

I agree with a couple of the previous posts. the reason I wouldn't bump up a model to the legend is that you said you wanted to use it with your lap-top. I assume that your lap-top will have mapping software with it. If this is the case, you don't need to pay for the extra feature of having a map on the GPSr (the 'r' stands for receiver) itself.

and that is exactly why I got the venture myself. I plan on getting a laptop for my wife soon, and we can just plug in the Venture (with the included cord). By the way, I am very pleased with my venture.

DaveO (the Mr. half of Silly Dilly Duo)

P.S. go to a local chain store and purchase a slow battery charger by rayovac. the one that is around $9.99 will do nicely as it will charge AA and AAA batteries. it will charge NiCad, NiMh, and rechargeable alkaline. then buy a package of 4 NiMh batteries, and you are good to go for a whole day of geocaching, and you aren't spending $3.50 or more a week on batteries icon_razz.gif

I agree with a couple of the previous posts. the reason I wouldn't bump up a model to the legend is that you said you wanted to use it with your lap-top. I assume that your lap-top will have mapping software with it. If this is the case, you don't need to pay for the extra feature of having a map on the GPSr (the 'r' stands for receiver) itself.

and that is exactly why I got the venture myself. I plan on getting a laptop for my wife soon, and we can just plug in the Venture (with the included cord). By the way, I am very pleased with my venture.

DaveO (the Mr. half of Silly Dilly Duo)

P.S. go to a local chain store and purchase a slow battery charger by rayovac. the one that is around $9.99 will do nicely as it will charge AA and AAA batteries. it will charge NiCad, NiMh, and rechargeable alkaline. then buy a package of 4 NiMh batteries, and you are good to go for a whole day of geocaching, and you aren't spending $3.50 or more a week on batteries icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Silly Dilly Duo:

As far as batteries, I have a good stock of NiMh already, since I actively use a digital camera that uses AA batts. (Olympus C-700). I bought the last couple of sets online through a company called Thomas Distributing. I would recommend the MAHA Powerex 1800mah with the MAHA C204F Charger. Excellent combination, and the charger can also discharge the batteries before charging.

Their website....

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/

Thanks,

Pete

Pete Pontius

pete.pontius@verizon.net

quote:
Originally posted by Silly Dilly Duo:

As far as batteries, I have a good stock of NiMh already, since I actively use a digital camera that uses AA batts. (Olympus C-700). I bought the last couple of sets online through a company called Thomas Distributing. I would recommend the MAHA Powerex 1800mah with the MAHA C204F Charger. Excellent combination, and the charger can also discharge the batteries before charging.

Their website....

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/

Thanks,

Pete

Pete Pontius

pete.pontius@verizon.net

Probably not much help to you, PiratePete... but possibly to interest of other people here:

Here in So. Cal. there is an Electronics Discount store that has a full page (yellow & red) advertisement in the LA Times almost every day. Most of the time their price for the Etrex Yellow is the same as everybody else, but they periodically have it on sale for $80.

If price is a major consideration, the Etrex Yellow is worth considering at that price.

The list price for the Garmin serial cable is very high, but $10 cables are available on the Auction sites. I have heard of some really shoddy cables for these things, so check the sellers rating first and buyer beware.