Another newbie here

ScubaBill

Hello to you all I have just started in this (sport)?? icon_biggrin.gif and Im hoping to get my first GPS by the weekend.. I am really looking forword to my first cache I now live in Winnipeg Mb. up from Houston Tx. so i just thought I'ed say Hi to you all.. or can I still say Y'all ????? icon_rolleyes.gif

First of all, welcome! The good news is that geocaching is SO much fun. The bad news is that there are not many geocaches in Winnipeg - only about 50 within the 100 mile radius last I checked.

I hope you will check out the two caches I placed in the 'Peg: Where Rivers Collide and World Peace which is a letterbox cache (meaning it only has a log book, stamp and stamp pad in it - no trade items).

I am from Winnipeg originally, but moved to Rochester, NY three years ago. I placed those two caches when I was home in May. And before anyone says anything about vacation caches, my mom helped place them, so she will be maintaining them.

I also recommend doing the Last of the Manitoba Ents cache. It is just outside of Winnipeg. I enjoyed that one, but there were SO many wood ticks when we were there. Looking at the recent logs, it doesn't seem to be that much of a problem now.

Good luck! I look forward to reading your logs.

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Another nOOb here and I too hope to have my GPS this weekend. I'm getting the Etrex legend. I was going to get a cheaper unit, but after reading ALOT here in the past week, and posting one question about another etrex, I decided to get the legend and spend the little bit of money right now. I've even already got the first few caches I want to find first.

Hey welcome, I'm new in the sport too. Heard about it several months ago and finally got off my duff and picked up a etrex Legend. A little costly but I thought it better to feel the sting of a costly new toy versus the annoyance and frustration of having a gps that was constantly lacking. I've found a couple of micro caches near my work this week - totally fun. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Need more TAZ's - Temporay Autonomous Zones .....

<edited for spelling>

Legend is a great little unit. Next you'll have to choose a mapping software, but that can wait until your birthday, or anniversary. Makes a good gift, icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

You can either download the coords using easygps or enter them manually.

Page 25 of your manual explains how to mark a waypoint.

1) Press in and hold the click stick to access the Mark Waypoint page.

2) Highlight the location field on the Mark Waypoint page, press the Click Stick and enter the new coordinates using the numerical keyboard. Highlight and press 'OK' when finished.

3) You may also change the waypoint name or symbol.

quote:
Originally posted by RaiderXJ:

Another nOOb here and I too hope to have my GPS this weekend. I'm getting the Etrex legend. I was going to get a cheaper unit, but after reading ALOT here in the past week, and posting one question about another etrex, I decided to get the legend and spend the little bit of money right now. I've even already got the first few caches I want to find first.

Good decisions there. The LEGEND is a great unit! And study those print-outs of the first few and get yourself psyched. I'm a newbie at this, too, and have been having fun.

Enjoy yourself!

~robert

(that's mrkablooey, not kablooey)

quote:
Originally posted by sgt cache:

Hey all, I am new too. Just picked up an etrex legend last night and will go to my 1st cache tomorrow. The ??? i have is how do I get the waypoint coordinate in the GPS?

Like sbell111 said, the easiest way is to use the cable that came with it. Download EasyGPS (www.easygps.com) and install it on your PC. Do a search of where you want to cache and then look at the results list. Click the checkboxes on each one you want to download to your PC, open the .loc file in EasyGPS, connect your Legend, turn it on, and click SEND TO GPS or whatever the exact wording is. You may want to assign a different icon to it before uploading it, I use the box instead of the default circle/crosshairs.

~robert

(that's mrkablooey, not kablooey)