Antenna For Gps

street1

In none of my post did I say GPS reception is not effected by trees, what I have been saying is that an external antenna is not needed for geocaching.

As I stated before, very few cacher use external antennas so very few caches get hidden with and external antenna, if there is a benefit to using and external antenna unless every that hides a caches uses an external antenna, there is no benefit in using an external antenna.

Of the links the Poindexter was kind enough to provide, they did not say that a GPS would lose a lock, they did say that the signals would be effected. For some reason I have not been able to get the Delorme link to work, I keep getting a blank page.

As far as the Garmin link, Garmin is confused

On the Garmin web site they contradict them selves, they start out with this:

Today's GPS receivers are extremely accurate, thanks to their parallel multi-channel design. Garmin's 12 parallel channel receivers are quick to lock onto satellites when first turned on and they maintain strong locks, even in dense foliage or urban settings with tall buildings. Certain atmospheric factors and other sources of error can affect the accuracy of GPS receivers. Garmin® GPS receivers are accurate to within 15 meters on average.

Then later on the same page they say this:

Number of satellites visible — The more satellites a GPS receiver can "see," the better the accuracy. Buildings, terrain, electronic interference, or sometimes even dense foliage can block signal reception, causing position errors or possibly no position reading at all. GPS units typically will not work indoors, underwater or underground.

They Can’t have it both ways.

When you get right down to it, experience is going to find more caches than the addition of an external antenna. As far as the $20.00 for an antenna, for some people this is not a lot of money, for others $20.00 is a lot of money to spend on something they do not really need.

As far as the comment from earlier Poindexter

As far as fantasy, to say that your GPSr always gets you within 5-15 feet 90% of the time, well that's fantasy!

I do not remember you ever being with me while I was looking for a cache so how can you comment on how well my GPS works, you have know way of knowing that now do you :blink:

As far as Peter is concerned, he has attacked my honesty, yet he does not know me. :ph34r:

He has attacked me regarding my professionalism as a salesman, yet he has never done business with me. :P

Were ever he does his shopping I feel sorry for those that must deal with him.

Wow.

Ummm.....

Every breathe in and breathe out about 40 times.

Choice of GPS units seem to bring up strong feelings, whether it's Garmin v Magellan or external antenna v WAAS , etc., etc., etc., etc.

Please stick to the facts and do *NOT* make any personal attacks. And above all - let's keep the discussion civil. Try not to let a conversation degenerate into

Yes it will

No it won't

Yes it will

No it won't

Yes it will

No it won't

Yes it will

No it won't

Yes it will

No it won't

Yes it will

No it won't

No it won't

Yes it will

No it won't

Yes it will

No it won't

Yes it will

No it won't

Yes it will

No it won't

Yes it will

No it won't

As far as fantasy, to say that your GPSr always gets you within 5-15 feet 90% of the time, well that's fantasy! 

I do not remember you ever being with me while I was looking for a cache so how can you comment on how well my GPS works, you have know way of knowing that now do you

Yes, I do. Not many of us are using survey grade receivers for recreational Geocaching. Our receivers simply do not have that kind of accuracy. You have 921 finds and your GPSr got you within 5-15 feet 90% of the time? Give me a break!

Not all trees lose their leaves and I have never seen any scientific study to back up this claim that GPSr lose reception because of leaves in trees. Can you provide a link to any study that has been done to prove this claim.

There were issue with older GPSr, but I have never heard of the tree leaf problem with a 12 channel.

In none of my post did I say GPS reception is not effected by trees, what I have been saying is that an external antenna is not needed for geocaching.

Nor did anybody claim that GPSr "lose" reception because of leaves in trees. Performance is degraded and can be improved with an external antenna.

The Delorme link works for me this morning. It's a .pdf file.

Garmin and any other company selling a product will say anything they can get away with to promote sales of that product.

The Delorme link works for me this morning. It's a .pdf file.

I know its a PDF file, all it get is a grey PDF screen with nothing on it

Yes, I do. Not many of us are using survey grade receivers for recreational Geocaching. Our receivers simply do not have that kind of accuracy. You have 921 finds and your GPSr got you within 5-15 feet 90% of the time? Give me a break!

Unless you have been with me, you don't know jack about the accuracy I have been getting woth my GPS. So your opinion on this point is worhtless.

Yes it will

No it won't

Yes it will

No it won't

Yes it will

No it won't

Yes it will

No it won't

Yes it will

No it won't

Yes it will

No it won't