Gps With Palm Capability

jimmyreno

Does any one make a GPS that can also store and display the

"Cache Details" page that we see here?

A 2 in 1 device. I have no other need for a Palm or other PDA.

How do others without a PDA take the info out into the field?

On a long trip a person might have a couple of hundred caches

they might want to consider as they drive along.

*.loc files by themselves aren't enough.

Thx

Does any one make a GPS that can also  store and display the

"Cache Details" page that we see here?

There are a number of alternatives. You can find some bundle deals with a Palm + GPS, which connects either by a short cable, or plugs into a port.

If you are dead set on a fully integrated solution: the obvious one is Garmin's iQue 3600 device. I use one myself, and they are excellent. Not exactly bargain value, though.

To carry the cache details, the best product for Palm is probably Cachemate. This imports the .gpx files which are generated by Pocket Queries, and handles them in a well-featured database. Good value for $8.00.

Hth,

The biggest downside of a GPS/PDA combo is that they tend to be more fragile and less waterproof. The average handheld GPS can withstand a reasonable amount of abuse and water because that's the enviroment they're designed for. PDAs aren't really designed for hiking and fishing and the touchscreens are delicate.

That said, I'd never go caching without my Sony Clie, but I keep it in my jacket pocket, relitively safe from abuse.

I'm sure that one day someone will design an all-in-one unit that's perfect for caching, and I'll probably run out and buy it<g>

Wulf

I'm same as Tigger,, use a Sony Clie Palm PDA that I keep safe in a pocket/bag until it's needed. The iQue 3600 does do the PDA/GPS combo but it is fragile. And some have reported the unit is more logistially designed for urban use..

At this time it's the best solution to keep GPS & PDA detatched. And hey, you might be surprised how useful a PDA is to have around if you've never used one before.. I bought mine with just a couple intended uses, but after having it for a while am using it for a LOT of various things. You'll love keeping all your phone book info in electronic form, the scheduler is very handy, and there are literally THOUSANDS of free/cheap software add-on's to assist you in practically anything. Subscribe to Avantgo & have a free newspaper of all current local/world events in the PDA.

Get a seperate PDA, you won't be dissapointed :ninja:

If you are dead set on a fully integrated solution: the obvious one is Garmin's iQue 3600 device. I use one myself, and they are excellent. Not exactly bargain value, though.

Tell me about it, I was drooling over a iQue 3600a the other day, until I saw the price. B) Oy.

To carry the cache details, the best product for Palm is probably Cachemate. This imports the .gpx files which are generated by Pocket Queries, and handles them in a well-featured database. Good value for $8.00.

I actually prefer Plucker for this task, although I ditched Plucker's desktop app in favor of Sunrise Desktop. I use Cache Log Book to handle the chore of recording my hunts.

i have to agree 1 unit just wont work unless you buy your gps and hand write all the info from the logs or print them"my wife did that for about a week before she bought a pda" the 3600 is fragile and doesnt seem to work as well...we use 60c's and palms with cachemate now but we use to use plucker which worked just fine..our palms both are blutooth and we have bluetooth recievers for them but it just isnt practical to use in the field

Edited by outdoorman63

Handspring's Visor line had a GPS plug-in for a while. I do not know how powerful it was, nor what type of antenna it had. You can probably find a Visor on ebay for little more than pocket change. They came with 8meg of memory, it is likely that you could upload Cachemate and use it exclusively for caching.