Tomtom Navigator 5

dunos

I am not sure how closely the Smartphone versions follow the same version numbers. Potentially they could be quite different products.

There are some cheap deals on TT3 at the moment, but I dont know how out of date the maps are. Early releases of the TT Go complained that the maps were not very good - fo example no M6 Toll, although the version of TT4 I got (the latest) has all the new roads I can find in the UK including the M6 Toll.

I presume the TT3 maps are potentially even older - does anyone know how up to date they are?

Presumably the TT5 maps will be at least as up to date as the latest TT4 maps.

So if you don't have either, and are looking into buying one at the mo, it's better to get v3 than wait for v5, right?

Personally I would wait for V5 as it hopefully has more up to date maps, although you *may* find that if you buy TTN3 now you get a free upgrade to TTN5 when it is released.

Personally I would wait for V5 as it hopefully has more up to date maps, although you *may* find that if you buy TTN3 now you get a free upgrade to TTN5 when it is released.

A mate of mine bought TT2 and a few months later had to pay for his upgrade to TT3. It wasn't that expensive though.

A mate of mine bought TT2 and a few months later had to pay for his upgrade to TT3. It wasn't that expensive though.

A mate of mine got it free, he bought TTN2 a month or so before TTN3 was released.

I had to pay the 30 squid for the upgrade - was worth it for the updated maps.

TT5 is the new "common platform" - so it updates the older "common platform" as used in the Go, Mobile, and 4 products, and completely replaces the different code used for TT2 and 3. This obviously makes life a lot easier for TomTom.

If you're a TT3 user, the main differences you'll see are the new user interface, newer maps, full 7 digit postcode support, POI approach warnings, but a few things now missing (at least they are in the BETA) such as the ability to tweak road speeds to your liking. So, if like me you've already used add-ons to give TT3 postcode support and POI warnings, then the only real benefits are that it'll all be inside TomTom now and the maps will be newer.

Go/Mobile etc users will already be used to the interface, but will now get a lot of the functionality that they had been missing out on compared to TT3, plus the other new features above.

All this is based on discussions going on over at PocketGPSWorld, where they've been to CeBIT and have had their hands on the BETA of TT5 for about a month.

Edited by BandMandAandA

I have just had a reply from TomTom telling me that they do not intend to provide an upgrade path from TT4 to TT5 because it was only ever sold as a "standalone" product. I have replied asking why the box never said anything about that and why it said the product was "flexible" and "The smart choice in personal navigation" when their attitude appears to be that it is not upgradable or supportable and missing features in other versions.

I also question what is standalone about a package that contains an IPAQ (in its own box), a GPSr (in its own box) and a memory card pre-installed with TomTom software (in its own box). All the parts of this standalone product work independantly of one another, and two can be purchased seperatly from one another.