inputting coordinates in the house

Ok, This is probably the stupidest question ever posted.

I have an E-trex and to enter to waypoints for the caches it says I have to have a satallite lock. It won't get a lock in the house and we already have the home coordinates listed. Does this mean I have to take everything outside to enter the waypoints or is there something I'm not doing right? I have to do this manually, because I don't have the mapping software or cables. icon_redface.gif

Hamsters - buy 2 get 10 free!

Draykoh, Yorik, Senyth, Harry, Hermione, Ron, Rubeus, Minerva, Ginny, Jumper, Pounce, Lenny, Squiggy, Micro-Sprite, Midgey and our much loved Boru (RIP)

No, you do not need a satellite lock to enter coordinates into an Etrex.

You only need a lock if you want to make a waypoint of the actual place you are at.

Just Press and hold the Enter button (Bottom left) and when the waypoint screen comes up change the waypoint info and location.

It will be a lot easier and less chance of data entry errors if you buy or make a cable though.

Never date a girl whose father calls her princess - chances are she beleives it.

Thanks! I'll probably end up getting the cable but we went on a 3 cache loop today and everything worked out great but the last point was the first the gps tried to lead us to. We had to go nearby it to get to the first cache but couldn't go there from that direction - had to hit it from the north because it was on the freeway. Anyway, the only way we could do it was enter 1 waypoint at a time then add the next one before we left each cache! icon_confused.gif

Hamsters - buy 2 get 10 free!

Draykoh, Yorik, Senyth, Harry, Hermione, Ron, Rubeus, Minerva, Ginny, Jumper, Pounce, Lenny, Squiggy, Micro-Sprite, Midgey and our much loved Boru (RIP)

quote:
Originally posted by HamsterMom & Hamsters of War:

I have an E-trex and to enter to waypoints for the caches it says I have to have a satallite lock. It won't get a lock in the house and we already have the home coordinates listed. Does this mean I have to take everything outside to enter the waypoints or is there something I'm not doing right?

You might find it useful to put your eTrex into "demo mode" while you enter your waypoints. That will keep the unit from looking for satellites. Just be sure to return the unit to normal operation before you go out to hunt for caches.

To get into demo mode, keep pressing PAGE until you get the main menu. Select SETUP, then SYSTEM. From this menu, choose DEMO for demo mode, or NORMAL for normal operation. (You probably don't want to use BATTERY SAVER mode. It turns the receiver off and on at regular intervals which can actually make it more difficult to find a cache)

HTH.

-- t6 says: "Spiders taste like chicken".

I have an eTrex Venture, and all I do is

1) From the satellite page, drop down the options menu and select "Use with GPS off".

2) From the Main Menu, go to "Mark". You get a new waypoint, for which you can edit all the info, including name and coordinates.

HTH,

RichMaru