Gps And Mac

I am a mac user and am about to buy my first GPS device which comes with a USB cable to link to a PC. I am considering getting the garmin gpsmap 60cs.... i want to be able to download the .loc file from my mac to the GPS... is this possible? is there map software out there for the mac that i can use? any help would be great! any mac users out there who are in this boat and know what to do? Thanks!!

Garmin will just direct you to virtual PC.

Some work it that way, some can't. Not being a Mac using I can't be of more use.

There have been threads in the past about this, look in the upper right corner for the 'search' button. Using this feature you should be able to come up with some reading materials.

… look in the upper right corner for the 'search' button. Using this feature you should be able to come up with some reading materials.

caution: searching for »mac« ends in dead end street. try searching »%mac«.

happy hunting.

I am a mac user and am about to buy my first GPS device which comes with a USB cable to link to a PC. I am considering getting the garmin gpsmap 60cs.... i want to be able to download the .loc file from my mac to the GPS... is this possible? is there map software out there for the mac that i can use? any help would be great! any mac users out there who are in this boat and know what to do? Thanks!!

I'm running MacOS X 10.2.8 on a beige Power Macintosh G3, and I have my eTrex (the basic yellow model) connected thereto via an RS–232/RS–422 serial connection. (The beige G3 was the last Macintosh to include built-in RS–422 serial ports.) I have had good results using Mac SimpleGPS with this combination.  It works quite well with .LOC and .GPX files, and with transferring waypoints back and forth between my Macintosh and my GPS.

USB may be a problem.  I gather from some other threads that Garmin's implementation of USB is badly–broken, in a manner that Windoze is able to cope with, but which causes problems for some other systems.  I am also given to understand that MacOS X 10.3.8 includes a workaround in its USB driver, specifically to cope with Garmin's broken USB implementation.  I don't have any firsthand knowledge on this issue, as my GPS doesn't have a USB port, and my computer won't run anything later than MacOS X 10.2.x.

Since Mac SimpleGPS is free, you don't have anything much to lose by hooking up your GPS and giving it a try.  If it doesn't work, then you may need to get the necessary cables and adaptors to connect your GPS via its serial port rather than its USB port.

Edited by Bob Blaylock