Bramshill Forest And Caches

While my wife and I were looking for Warren's Ponds Cache (GCJ6KK) a Forestry Commission Ranger saw us walking with a GPS and stopped us and asked if we were Geocaching. He informed us that because of the wildlife in the area caching should not be done in the forest.

He is aware that the Forestry Commission has permitted geocaching and was very happy with what we do and is in no way against the hobby. On discussing the reasons why we do what we do, we both came to the same conclusion, there should be more communication between the two parties. He even suggested that geocaching could be carried out in the Forest if the rangers were consulted on the placing of the caches.

So those that have caches in this area, please contact Mr Ian Green the Recreation Ranger of Bramshill Forest for some guidance, ian.green@forestry.gsi.gov.uk, or email me on goody69831@aol.com and I can give you his telephone number.

One last thing is that he has a GPS with him on his patrols and can quite easily decide to find the caches in the forest and remove them. As I have said he was a very nice person and we would do well to build up a mutual relationship with him.

Paul & Lynne Good

We live very close to the area and would just comment in passing that many, many dog walkers are to be seen there... plus we have seen "trials" motorbikes and various other disturbances to wildlife. Kids cycle through and play in the area too. Really makes you wonder what possible damage a cache could cause compared to the activities mentioned.

Birders, I agree with what you are saying, we were there with our 2 dogs and they do tend to 'stray' from the paths :D

But the ranger was there trying to catch a motorbiker and he had a police 4x4 with him.

As I tried to point out in the orignal post, he was not against geochaching even in SSSI areas, but he would like to approve the location of a cache in these areas, so that he can advise and monitor the impact it has in these sensitive areas.

the manager at the english nature site i've placed a cache in just wanted to be there to see where i placed the cache so he could be happy that there were no plants or animals going to be disturbed by people visiting.

with best will in the world my knowledge of plants not good enough to know whether the little green thing is a terribly rare exotic orchid.

this guy seems to be quite pro, if there isn't a cahce there then someone call him and place one. the more rangers on our side the better.

All "legal activitys" in a SSSI, are strictly regulated by the relevant regulatory body, and that includes any work taking place in the area, a landowner can incur severe fines, for allowing any activity that causes any damage (however minor). In recognition of the large amount of ilegal off road activitys (idiot 4x4's and bikers/quads, ilegal on land) the Police now have the power to confiscate the vehicle (including quads, when the law is changed to reclassify them) of repeted offenders, if they can catch them. The Ranger is just trying to do his job, of protecting the area.

Dave

While my wife and I were looking for Warren's Ponds Cache (GCJ6KK) ....

We have made contact with the Ranger and hope to meet him soon to ensure that our caches in Bramshill are not in sensitive areas.

Will keep you posted.

Denise