Need 24k Topo To Work On 60cs

Hello geocachers, I'm hoping someone has an answer for this situation. I searched for 24k topo alternatives for the Garmin 60cs but didn't have much luck.

I'm dissapointed :laughing: that Garmin doesn't offer anything but their National Park series 24k topo software. I've held off purchasing the 60cs until I can find a reasonable solution.

Thanks for your help.

I THINK you can make you own 24k maps. Garmin's mapping software has been hacked (so to speak) allowing people to create their own compatible maps to upload into their GPSrs. It's time and labor intensive, but it can be done. I'm not sure, but you may be able to apply these techniques to free 24k data on the Net.

A few links to point you in the right direction:

Map Authoring

Custom Garmin Map Tutorial

UMP: GETTING STARTED

Links to software used:

Ozi Explorer, GPS TrackMaker, MapDekode, GPSMapEdit, and/or cGPSmapper.

CLICK HERE for free 24k map download information.

Do you mean you don't like Garmin's United States TOPO : MapSource® United States TOPO CD-ROM

http://www.garmin.com//cartography/mapSource/topo.jsp

That's what i'm going to get, the parks seems too limiting...

Check out this thread; it compares garmins Topo USA with another mapping program. recent mapping software thread

The 1:100,000 scale leaves a lot to be desired if you're used to using the 1:24000 paper topo maps. I'd like to see Garmin do like Maptech did and offer state (or at least region) specific topos at a much higher detail.

Do you mean you don't like Garmin's United States TOPO : MapSource® United States TOPO CD-ROM

http://www.garmin.com//cartography/mapSource/topo.jsp

That's what i'm going to get, the parks seems too limiting...

^^ No, it's a piece of useless software to me. How many state/national parks do I really visit? Not enough to warrant the purchase of their "limited" sofware that's for sure. Once you get used to using 24k topo for most activites it's like running around naked if you use anything else for what I do at least. My activities include Boy Scout courses, work with other ages in scouting and I'm on summer camp staff. Also I work with the Dept. Interior and 100k just won't get it for any of this.

---

Thanks for the replies. And yes, I have a PDA and bluetooth GPS which works fine. I use MapTech maps on it. However I want to get away from the two-part device method and I know I'll miss my 24k topo's that I've grown so fond of.

I might just go for the Garmin 60cs and use Terrain Navigator Pro (MapTech) on my computer for the routing work. And learn to live without the 24k realtime topo views for the gps. (lug it around on a laptop maybe)

In the meantime I'll check out the links some of you posted. I'm a computer tech, sofware savy guy so I might be able to figure out some of those "hacks" that were mentioned.

Thanks again for your ideas.