Installing Us Topo On A Pc

I don't have Mapsource Topo, so I will assume it doesn't have an option during installation to put the maps on the hard drive. That said, this is what I did for Roads and Recreation:

Delete the current installation. Create a folder on your hard drive, name it whatever you want, and copy the entire CD (or CD's) to that folder. Remove the CD from the CD drive and run the install program from within the folder you created. That should do it. When you run Mapsource it will look in that folder for maps.

Alternatively you can just copy the maps to your hard drive and use regedit to change the registry to point the Mapsource software at the folder where the maps are found. This can be risky if you aren't real comfortable with PC's.

There may be an easier way...

Here's an approach i have taken:

1) Use nero or some sort of software that allows you create a disk image (iso, etc..)

2) Get Daemon-Tools - freeware virtual disk mounting software

3) Then mount the disk image - you will now have a new (virtual) cd drive

4) Install from there (it will act just like a regular cd rom)

5) Run from there.

If you want to make it even easier, there is a scripting tool (daemon script?) that once setup, you can click one icon - it will launch daemon tools, mount the image, and then launch the program.

I like this method because the disk images are each single files. Keeps things nice and tidy.

Again, there may be a better way.