Can Not Post A "retrieved"

Hide-and-Seek

We took the grandson caching out of town yesterday, and he retrieved a TB from a cache and dropped it off into another cache several miles away. Then it was retrieved and logged by a local cacher before we arrived back home. Now he can't post a "retrieved", he can only post a note. I really don't understand why he can't log a "retrieved", because surely this will occur time and again, and what does folks do that are on vacation and will not be returning home for days or weeks.

I'm not sure, but if you still have the TB tracking numbers you can probably grab the Tb from it's present place and then log it into the cache you left it in. Then you can grab it from that cache and then relog it back in the cache the other guy left it in.

Someone else in the forum, please help out here and let us know if this is correct.

Edited by arkville

You could contact the cacher and explain that you would like to be able to log it through. That would require grabs, drops, retreivals and probably log deletions. I'd have to know which bug it was before giving any step-by-steps.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. Go find other bugs.

Happy caching.

If you tried to do the TB info last night I am with you on a TB bug bug in the system. I did a retrieve and drop yesturday as well and it took over 1.5 hrs. to have the system give me the propper options for a retrieve and then later the TB on my page so that I could drop it in the cache. I ended up putting a note on the TB page to let the owner know it had been move and a note on the cache page for the same. Finally the system let me retrieve and about 1/2 hour later it let me place it into the other cache.

Do not know why the system would just not co-operate last night.

Thanks everyone for your posts but obviously my question was/is confusing, the grandson isn't worried about being able to log this particular TB. He is not into numbers he justs wants to have fun.

I was asking is it normal that if another cacher "Retrieves" a TB and logs it before you have had an opportunity to log said TB that you not be allowed to post a "Retrieved"?

Actually, to tell the truth, I'm asking because I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble to take a TB. Since I'm new to Geocaching I don't know if grandson's not logging his "retrieve" and "drop" before another cacher logged a "retrieved" is normal that he not be allowed to log a "Retrieve", or if he is doing something wrong.

He retrieved the TB from a cache and dropped it off into another cache several miles away. Then it was retrieved and logged by a local cacher before we arrived back home. We were on a weekend outing and were unable to run home and log the "Retrieve" and "Drop". This all occured in just over a 24 hour period. However he recieved an email message from the other cacher, asking why he had not logged the TB, not exactly complaining, perhaps trying to help, but it hurt grandson to think another cacher felt he had not followed proper procedure.

I have read in another topic, "Why Do Many Geocachers Fail To Take Travel Bugs?, Many geocachers pass up travel bugs", about cachers leaving TB's behind. Well if other cachers and TB owners can't allow more than 24 hours for you to log, I'm thinking I'm going to be one of those Geocacher that fail to take Travel Bugs.

I'm not complaining, I'm not saying the other cacher should have given him more time to post (well maybe I am), I'm not saying geocaching.com should allow him to log a "Retrieved", I'm not even trying to log grandson's TB, I'm soley trying to learn if this is normal not being able to post a "Retrieve" if another cacher logs first.

As far as BlueDeuce's question about this being about TBs 'Have a ball' or 'Scotty, we need more RAM!", the answer is no, but I'd sure like to hear the story behind the question.

As far as BlueDeuce's question about this being about TBs 'Have a ball' or 'Scotty, we need more RAM!", the answer is no, but I'd sure like to hear the story behind the question.

That was concerning a side issue for GooberCrew

Since the next cacher 'pulled' the bug into his inventory you would have to pull it back to do a retrieve/drop. Unless you both cooperate you can mess up where the bug truly is and the sequence of movements.

It's certainly possible to correct this, but it requires an extra effort. You can't simply 'add in' a missing drop/retrieve without taking over control of the bug.

Edited by BlueDeuce
Thanks!

So this is normal and he (we) are doing nothing wrong.

You did nothing wrong.

As for normal? eh, it does happen but not too often. It would be nice if people waited a bit longer.

If you ever do want to correct a drop, contact that next cacher as soon as possible. Taking too long, more cachers could have grabbed and dropped it.

If it's in a cache right now, I can tell you the fairly easy steps on how to back log it.

Edited by BlueDeuce