I've Been Bad...

jhob

About 10 months ago I went to the lake district with my friends and we tried out geocaching for the first time with my Dad's gps. We found our first cache with no problems and took a travel bug from it, it was the second that day which presented us with some problems...

For the second cache we had intended to put the travel bug back in. The weather had turned really bad by this point, it was horrible - heavy driving rain and wind. The cache was by this waterfall. We navigated up the path by the waterfall (it was very near the road) and got to the correct location according to the gps but could find nothing, we searched round for a bit and then my mate took the gps and climbed further up the rocks (actually pretty dangerous because it was very slippery) which was when I heard him shout 'CATCH IT!' and I saw my Dad's gps (a garmin gps12) bounce down the rocks just past me and finish up in the very deepest bit of the waterfall!

We tried to retrieve it but the water was too deep so we left the cache site and gave up the gps unit up for lost, and we also still had the travelbug.

Roll on 10 months and we still have the travel bug and I feel bad that I haven't managed to re-deposit it in that time, I'm guessing this is considered pretty bad practice? Anyway a gps of my own is arriving tomorrow so the travel bug will be set back on her travels again!

It's "normal practise" to inform the bug owner if you intend to hold onto the bug for any longer than a couple of weeks. You will be able to contact them via the travelbugs webpage.

Even though you are about to get a new GPS unit, it would be nice to drop the owner an e-mail letting them know the full story.

I'm sure they won't mind, they'll be pleased to know their bugs OK :(

We trust that you have kept the TB owner fully up to date with yous actions?

erm, no. Should I then?

Travel Bug tags cost about £5 each, and it's a great shame when they go missing. Glad you came back with the bug, I'm sure the owner will be very happy. Let's just hope it wasn't in a race, or on a specific mission :).

I can't see it in your inventory, so was wondering whether you managed to log it out of the cache you found it in?

I think one of my friends may have logged it, although I'm not 100% sure and can't remember the name of the cache or what date we visited it now.

I'll have a think and ask my mate and if it wasn't logged I presume I can still do this retrospectively?

Good to see a returning bug - this would probably have been given up as lost by the owner! Good to see your honesty, too ;)

Even if you can't remember the cache you got it from, you can always track down the bug's page by typing the number from the tag. That will say where it thinks it is.

Yes - normally, you'll email the bug owner if there's a problem, but they should just be pleased to see it back in circulation.

Good luck and safe caching! (for you AND your new GPS!)

Cheers,

Stu