Notify when it's a kid caches

Guest clarencio

Guest clarencio

Call me a scrooge if you wish but--I think if a cache is set up to make kids happy, then say so in the beginning. After I walk 2 miles uphill over rocks and roots to find a cache and it's full of kid stuff, I am very unhappy. There are too many people finding caches with kids and taking all the good stuff and (every kid doesn't have to take something) leaving junk, like little dolls,toys and McDonalds crap.

Guest ClayJar

You know, I don't mind at all. If it's a two mile hike, I could care less what's at the end. On the other hand, if it's a park-and-log, why would I even care unless there's something worthwhile there. (There are many, many different types of cachers.)

Guest Dutchboy

My whole family likes to go geocaching, including my 7yo and 10yo. They are the ones most excited about the cache contents. They love the kids toys. Myself, I usually just sign the log and take nothing. But I always make sure that I put something back if my kids take something. I try to make sure the value is equal to or greater to what was originally in the cache. I think that most adults are there for the hunt/hike, but most kids are there for the cache. Maybe that is why most caches contain a lot of kid items. I keep both adult items and kid items and try to leave what the mix might need in a particular cache.

Guest Dutchboy

hunt/hike, but most kids are there for the cache. Maybe that is why most caches contain a lot of kid items. I keep both adult items and kid items and try to leave what the mix might need in a particular cache.

I don't even trade things much anymore. I am there mostly just to log the visit. The one thing I really like to see in cache is travel bugs. I really like helping a travel bug along its way. The trade item part of geocaching was never all that big of a deal and the longer I do this the less important it becomes. I also like the custom item some cachers are starting to leave in the caches. Almost as good as meeting the cacher. themselves.

mcb

Guest Ron Streeter

eurekaredcanvas.bmp

This has been discussed many times before in several different forms. My guess is that for most people the hike and the scenery are the prime focus.

Sure it's nice to find a useful item in a cache, but you could buy that item in a store cheaper than spending your time, gas money, etc going for a cache. Also, the item you are seeking (if it was listed on the cache page) might be gone when you get there.

In my opinion, the quest, the hike (or bike) and the outing are what it's all about...at least for me.

Ron (49 hidden/134 found)

Guest brokenwing

OK, as I read it, you have two issues here:

Issue One: Fair-trading. Here I will agree with you. We all should trade fairly. My only problem with what you said is that this is not something limited to families with kids. Perhaps in Virginia it's different, but around here, trading unfairly seems to be just as likely to be done by single cachers.

Issue Two: You seem to be disappointed by the contents of caches. Well, to each his own, but if I felt this way I would have given up this sport along time ago. For me, caching is about getting some exercise, spending time in natural surroundings, the "adventure", and the "hunt" aspect. Finding something neat in the cache is fun too, but it's only secondary. In my 80 + finds, there have been "neat" things (for me anyway) in probably less than 5 caches.

Keep two things in mind here. One, many people simply cannot afford to spend money on "a brand new AM Radio (Batteries not included)" as you do, so what they use to trade is stuff they already have or can get really cheap. Two, as the old-saying goes, "one man's trash is another man's treasure". The point being, just because you don't particularly care for the contents of the cache does not mean it's junk. My daughter is quite happy to find toys and dolls in caches. When she's happy, I'm happy.

Finally on your original point about notification, remember that over time, all caches change. The cache owner cannot control what people exchange, so they would have no way to notify you that you might not find the contents to your liking. What exactly are you expecting here?

As a cache owner, we have a cache that was intended from the beginning to be a kids cache, and we labeled it as such. Our other caches started out with a variety of stuff, but like all caches, the quality of the contents has declined over time. This is just how it is, and we knew that when we placed them.

As cache hunters, we try to make a point of improving the caches we visit and also try to "even out" the contents to keep the contents enjoyable for both kids and adults. This is all any of us can do.

Take care.

------------------

Brokenwing

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Guest clarencio

hers.

Issue Two: You seem to be disappointed by the contents of caches. Well, to each his own, but if I felt this way I would have given up this sport along time ago. For me, caching is about getting some exercise, spending time in natural surroundings, the "adventure", and the "hunt" aspect. Finding something neat in the cache is fun too, but it's only secondary. In my 80 + finds, there have been "neat" things (for me anyway) in probably less than 5 caches.

Keep two things in mind here. One, many people simply cannot afford to spend money on "a brand new AM Radio (Batteries not included)" as you do, so what they use to trade is stuff they already have or can get really cheap. Two, as the old-saying goes, "one man's trash is another man's treasure". The point being, just because you don't particularly care for the contents of the cache does not mean it's junk. My daughter is quite happy to find toys and dolls in caches. When she's happy, I'm happy.

Finally on your original point about notification, remember that over time, all caches change. The cache owner cannot control what people exchange, so they would have no way to notify you that you might not find the contents to your liking. What exactly are you expecting here?

As a cache owner, we have a cache that was intended from the beginning to be a kids cache, and we labeled it as such. Our other caches started out with a variety of stuff, but like all caches, the quality of the contents has declined over time. This is just how it is, and we knew that when we placed them.

As cache hunters, we try to make a point of improving the caches we visit and also try to "even out" the contents to keep the contents enjoyable for both kids and adults. This is all any of us can do.

Take care.

It seems that you and the other's that replied are doing things correctly and fairly

But there are a lot of people not playing the game the way they should and they know whom they are.

clarencio

Guest clarencio

quote:
Originally posted by brokenwing:

Issue One: Fair-trading. Here I will agree with you. We all should trade fairly. My only problem with what you said is that this is not something limited to families with kids. Perhaps in Virginia it's different, but around here, trading unfairly seems to be just as likely to be done by single cachers.

Take care.

It seems that you and the other's that replied are doing things correctly and fairly

But there are a lot of people not playing the game the way they should and they know whom they are.

clarencio

Guest clarencio

mething limited to families with kids. Perhaps in Virginia it's different, but around here, trading unfairly seems to be just as likely to be done by single cachers.

Take care.

clarencio[/b]

PS I still have 92 more AM Radios to put out there somewhere. Maybe I should move out West?

Guest clarencio

quote:
Originally posted by clarencio:

quote:
Originally posted by brokenwing:

Take care.

clarencio

PS I still have 92 more AM Radios to put out there somewhere. Maybe I should move out West?

Guest ErinsWeb

Contents of caches not being what one wants is kind of a subjective thing wouldn't you say. I read a lot of posts on these forums and it seems that most people agree that the search is not for the "prize" but for the "hunt". I know when I search alone I usually take nothing and just leave a note in the log.

In some respects it is the children of the geocachers that cherish the contents the most. It seems that they like the idea of planning and searching and the thrill of success when they find the cache.

So, what does a child take out and put in a cache? Well of course it is something that a child thinks is important. It will be a toy or something pretty or unusual. Something that means a lot to them (like your AM radio does to you). But you know what? Even when the cache is bare or there is nothing that the kids want inside, they will still leave something.

I came to geocaching after years of playing "satellite poker" (using a gpsr to find your next card). At first the trading thing was really cool, but anymore it is for the hunt. For the ability to find the cache and leave my name in the log.

Maybe I am different from the rest, maybe not.

Mikel

Guest clarencio

quote:
Originally posted by weebeeus:

What would you like to find in a cache? Just curious.

I am not looking for riches. It's not about what I want to find, but what I don't want to find, like goofy little toys,outdated tickets to a show that no one wanted to see anyway, Al Gore pins, hand written poems, discount coupons for "Tide" etc.

clarencio

Guest bradrobb

When I find a cache I leave something but take nothing most times. But my kids cache with me and have caches out there and the fun is finding the cache and exploring an area where we won't normally go to. They save there stuff to trade and have traded. If I can use this to get them outside and doing something they enjoy then let them trade toys. I bought my son a digital camera so he can be our team photo guy and he loves it.

Guest clarencio

quote:
Originally posted by Vagabond:

Gee who wants an outdated am radio anyway. now an xfm or cdplayer thats different.

.... . rolleyes.gif

So why the hell do you think I'm getting rid of them.

clarencio

Guest sbell111

For me, caching is not about the prize at all. Most of the items that I trade for only make it out of my backpack when I place them in a new cache. I honestly could care less what the quality of the items in the caches are.

In theory, I support the idea that one should attempt to trade an item for an item of similar value. However, the reality is that all of the items have almost no true value at all.

Don't cache for stuff. Cache because you enjoy (1) the exercise of the hike, (2) the satisfaction of finding the cache, (3) the expectation to see what will be in the cache, and (4) the fun it is to find out how other people felt when they found it.

Guest chaosmanor

Well, I can certainly see both sides to this discussion. The point of "trading fair" is valid, as is the original one. A cache that has mostly kids stuff in it *should* be marked as such. If nothing else, it means that finders should have kids things along to put in the cache, even if they don't have kids along with them. Our youngest is in college, but we have grandkids, so any kiddy trinkets will find a home.

For us, the idea of geocaching is to find the cache, and see whatever is to be seen there. BUT, we do put a little time and thought into what we might want to leave in a cache once we find it, and if what is in the cache isn't of much value to us, we are a little disappointed. So we try to make up for it by giving better than we got. In fact, we kinda get a kick out of looking for cache goodies on our trips, especially things that are obviously from someplace not near the cache. Putting a redwood bookmark in a cache in the Mojave desert has a peculiar appeal! icon_biggrin.gif

The best cache adventure I ever had was to a cache that really had very little in it, but that didn't reduce the joy of finding it at all. The cache had a code to be solved, and a guardian to be passed, and a moderately difficult hike (at least for this overweight guy), and the finding of it still brings a thrill. I worked hard for it, and I was the first to find it. I have no idea, anymore, what I took out or left (except for a "Where's George?" dollar, which I put in every cache I find), but I can still remember how jazzed I was to find it, after a couple of hours of searching hither and yon.

Still, I have to agree that a cache that is aimed at children should be posted as such, if only in fairness to the kids. Any cache which is easily accessible to them should be highlighted! Show 'em there are other things to do besides play gameboy icon_wink.gif

BTW: sure, you can put a few of your radios Out West; talk radio takes up a huge piece of the AM bands out here.

[This message has been edited by chaosmanor (edited 08 February 2002).]

Guest chaosmanor

in it *should* be marked as such. If nothing else, it means that finders should have kids things along to put in the cache, even if they don't have kids along with them. Our youngest is in college, but we have grandkids, so any kiddy trinkets will find a home.

For us, the idea of geocaching is to find the cache, and see whatever is to be seen there. BUT, we do put a little time and thought into what we might want to leave in a cache once we find it, and if what is in the cache isn't of much value to us, we are a little disappointed. So we try to make up for it by giving better than we got. In fact, we kinda get a kick out of looking for cache goodies on our trips, especially things that are obviously from someplace not near the cache. Putting a redwood bookmark in a cache in the Mojave desert has a peculiar appeal! icon_biggrin.gif

The best cache adventure I ever had was to a cache that really had very little in it, but that didn't reduce the joy of finding it at all. The cache had a code to be solved, and a guardian to be passed, and a moderately difficult hike (at least for this overweight guy), and the finding of it still brings a thrill. I worked hard for it, and I was the first to find it. I have no idea, anymore, what I took out or left (except for a "Where's George?" dollar, which I put in every cache I find), but I can still remember how jazzed I was to find it, after a couple of hours of searching hither and yon.

Still, I have to agree that a cache that is aimed at children should be posted as such, if only in fairness to the kids. Any cache which is easily accessible to them should be highlighted! Show 'em there are other things to do besides play gameboy icon_wink.gif

BTW: sure, you can put a few of your radios Out West; talk radio takes up a huge piece of the AM bands out here.

Guest chaosmanor

Well, I can certainly see both sides to this discussion. The point of "trading fair" is valid, as is the original one. A cache that has mostly kids stuff in it *should* be marked as such. If nothing else, it means that finders should have kids things along to put in the cache, even if they don't have kids along with them. Our youngest is in college, but we have grandkids, so any kiddy trinkets will find a home.

Guest chaosmanor

in it *should* be marked as such. If nothing else, it means that finders should have kids things along to put in the cache, even if they don't have kids along with them. Our youngest is in college, but we have grandkids, so any kiddy trinkets will find a home.

Guest clarencio

quote:
Originally posted by chaosmanor:

Your answer makes the most sense of all, at least to me it does. No matter what the cache includes--lets leave it better than we found it.

Clarencio

Guest clarencio

quote:

Your answer makes the most sense of all, at least to me it does. No matter what the cache includes--lets leave it better than we found it.

Clarencio

Guest brokenwing

quote:

Still, I have to agree that a cache that is aimed at children should be posted as such, if only in fairness to the kids.

As I alluded to before, it's quite likely that the cache in question started off with some more adult oriented items, but like all caches, the contents changed over time. It's unreasonable to expect that the cache owner keep up with the items traded in their cache just so folks like clarencio have something they "like".

Bottom-line, you?re both expecting someone to warn you about something the cache owner has no control over. That's silly if you ask me.

I do think it would be great if more caches had "cool" stuff in them. The reality is that most do not, and no amount of complaining here will change that. Frankly, I'm not really bothered by the contents of caches since that's not what this game is about for me. I do understand this mentality, however, because for my daughter, it IS about the contents. As parents, we understand this and try purposely to leave neat things for kids in caches because they are generally more upset by not finding something "good" in a cache. (clarencio is the obvious exception.)

Most of the cachers that read the forums here are the "good ones", by the way. You're preaching to the choir, in effect. The people that don't trade fairly and degrade caches, are not going to bother to come here and read these posts. Right or wrong, I once estimated that less than a tenth of cachers actually read these forums. I still think that's a reasonable estimate.

What's my point? Just that complaining here about being unhappy with the contents of caches is pointless. You're not going to change people's habits by posting here. In my opinion, trading well and being unselfish is the single best thing you can do. This will set an example locally. As more people do this, more people will feel compelled to trade fair. In time, caches will actually improve. Clarencio, in your case just leave your radios or other nice things and don't worry about whether or not there is anything to trade. After all, there is no requirement that you actually take something out of a cache just because you left something. If more folks did this, in time there will be stuff that will please you.

Best of luck in the future.

------------------

Brokenwing

Guest brokenwing

ntents changed over time. It's unreasonable to expect that the cache owner keep up with the items traded in their cache just so folks like clarencio have something they "like".

Bottom-line, you?re both expecting someone to warn you about something the cache owner has no control over. That's silly if you ask me.

I do think it would be great if more caches had "cool" stuff in them. The reality is that most do not, and no amount of complaining here will change that. Frankly, I'm not really bothered by the contents of caches since that's not what this game is about for me. I do understand this mentality, however, because for my daughter, it IS about the contents. As parents, we understand this and try purposely to leave neat things for kids in caches because they are generally more upset by not finding something "good" in a cache. (clarencio is the obvious exception.)

Most of the cachers that read the forums here are the "good ones", by the way. You're preaching to the choir, in effect. The people that don't trade fairly and degrade caches, are not going to bother to come here and read these posts. Right or wrong, I once estimated that less than a tenth of cachers actually read these forums. I still think that's a reasonable estimate.

What's my point? Just that complaining here about being unhappy with the contents of caches is pointless. You're not going to change people's habits by posting here. In my opinion, trading well and being unselfish is the single best thing you can do. This will set an example locally. As more people do this, more people will feel compelled to trade fair. In time, caches will actually improve. Clarencio, in your case just leave your radios or other nice things and don't worry about whether or not there is anything to trade. After all, there is no requirement that you actually take something out of a cache just because you left something. If more folks did this, in time there will be stuff that will please you.

Best of luck in the future.

------------------

Brokenwing

Guest LindaLu

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Vagabond:

Gee who wants an outdated am radio anyway. now an xfm or cdplayer thats different.

.... . rolleyes.gif

So why the hell do you think I'm getting rid of them.

clarencio

Hmm... so you are saying you are giving away junk? Seems your finger-pointing is pointing right back at you...

Guest clarencio

quote:
Originally posted by LindaLu:

Hmm... so you are saying you are giving away junk? Seems your finger-pointing is pointing right back at you...

What is one man's junk is another man's treasure. Besides, I paid $4.00 a piece for these radios. How much do you spend for the junk you put in a cache?

clarencio

Guest brokenwing

Generally the things I place in caches run from $1 to $20 dollars. I believe it's a good idea to have a range of things to trade so that I'm prepared regardless of what we find. Just our signature piece cost us about $3 a piece. We leave these regardless of whether we trade or not, and we never consider them a trade item, so they are left in addition to anything else we might leave.

------------------

Brokenwing

Guest TeamDragon

While I agree that the thrill of the hunt and the hike are the most important thing, it's kind of spoils the trip if you arrive there and find a cache full of junk. Might as well have hiked up to find some litter.

Most of the caches I find nowadays are filled with crap: McDonald's Happy Meal toys, stuffed animals that are dirty and missing an eye, etc. My daughter's 2 and she's not interested in this stuff.

How about this rule: If the item could not be sold at a garage sale for more than a quarter, it's garbage not treasure and shouldn't be placed in a cache.

Guest Choberiba

quote:
Originally posted by TeamDragon:

How about this rule: If the item could not be sold at a garage sale for more than a quarter, it's garbage not treasure and shouldn't be placed in a cache.

Actually, I kind of like that rule.

It's about as objective as we can get with this.

For instance my custom ballpoints cost me thirty three cents each, I'd be lucky to get a nickle for one if I were selling them, but then I never thought of them as having "trade" value.

Were I to trade my pen for one of Moun10Bike's coins, I feel I'd be degrading the cache. Though they basically serve the same purpose.

I think Moun10Bike could easily get a quarter for one of his coins from a collector of odd stuff.

I always carry latex baloons, a GC compass/keychain*, and whatever other items I've bought for bait (matchbox cars..etc.)

I don't often carry something of higher value since there's usually not much point. I do usually leave something nice in caches I *place*. However, my motives are different in that case.

------------------

Eric hideseek@cachestash.com

Guest Jake.Hazelip

This has to be one of the dumbest complaints I've heard. It sounds like you had a great hike. Big deal that there were just little toys in the cache. You didn't even mention the size of the cache container. If it's a small one and it was crammed with little toys, I'd say it was a good cache box. If it was big and half full of little toys, then I'd say you had a great hike.

What's the big deal?

Guest web-ling

I think we can all agree expired coupons and broken toys are junk. New Happy Meal toys are NOT junk as far as my kids are concerned - they are "treasures". I can see where most adults wouldn't want to trade for them, however. To each his own. If you don't find anything you want, then don't trade. Or, don't take anything, but leave something you would have taken if it had been there. Or, take something someone else would want, leave something better, then put what you took in another cache that doesn't have anything similar.

You're not always going to find something you want in every cache you visit. Part of the game is not knowing what you'll find.

------------------

Web-ling

www.web-ling.com

[This message has been edited by web-ling (edited 14 February 2002).]

Guest web-ling

As a dad with two geokids (ages 3 and 5), I appreciate toys in caches, as long as they are in good shape. I agree that junk (broken toys, expired coupons, used golf balls, etc.) should be left out. My kids couldn't care less what the toys cost, as long as they're in good condition. Also, anyone who makes the the comment that "every kid doesn't have to take something" has probably not done much geocaching with a 3 year old and a 5 year old. To them, that's the whole point of geocaching.

I generally think that as the difficulty of a cache increases, the fewer "kids' items" should be left in the cache. Most kids are going to hunt 1/1 and 2/2 caches. A few find 2/3 or 3/3 caches. Above that, it doesn't make any sense to leave toys.

I wholeheartedly agree with leaving the contents at least as good as you found them. Nobody should take something without leaving something at least as nice in its place. Nobody wants junk left in caches. However, how one person defines "junk" is different than how another person defines it. I think we can all agree expired coupons and broken toys are junk. New Happy Meal toys are NOT junk as far as my kids are concerned - they are "treasures". I can see where most adults wouldn't want to trade for them, however. To each his own. If you don't find anything you want, then don't trade. Or, don't take anything, but leave something you would have taken if it had been there. Or, take something someone else would want, leave something better, then put what you took in another cache that doesn't have anything similar.

You're not always going to find something you want in every cache you visit. Part of the game is not knowing what you'll find.

------------------

Web-ling

www.web-ling.com

[This message has been edited by web-ling (edited 14 February 2002).]

Guest web-ling

quote:
Originally posted by JamieZ:

Life is like a box of chocolates.

Jamie

Life is like a geocache. You never know what you're going to get, and when you think you do know, somebody usually beats you to it. It's not just about the destination, but also about the adventures on the way! We get a lot out of life, but hopefully most of us put more into it than we take, making it better for all.

Egad! confused.gif Where'd that come from? Not sure when I became a philosopher...

Guest LindaLu

quote:

What is one man's junk is another man's treasure. ...

clarencio

That is exactly my point. You consider kid's toys junk, while a lot of geocachers consider them treasure....that's all I was saying.

Guest clarencio

quote:
Originally posted by LindaLu:

That is exactly my point. You consider kid's toys junk, while a lot of geocachers consider them treasure....that's all I was saying.

O.K. I'll try to be a nice guy like all the rest of you seem to be,BUT I was just looking for some out of town caches to visit on a trip I am making AND as I was browsing I could not help but eliminate caches with McDonald's crap and stuffed toys. My gosh, their food is bad enough, without passing around their toys.

clarencio

Guest Vagabond

Find the cache sign the log take nothing leave nothing, enjoy the sights, more then likely you'll be seeing places you never knew existed, let that be reward enough.

If you are that bent on getting something worthwhile read what was put in originally read what has replaced it if there is nothing you want then don't go. ... ......

rolleyes.gif

may be needed along the trail or in camp (parachute cord, waterproof matches, candles, knives, can openers, fire starters, instant hand/toe warmers, maps, trail guides, ponchos, plastic bags, batteries, small paperback books, cards, small games, toilet paper/kleenex, handi wipes, hotel size soap, flashlights, bandaids, moleskin, etc) basically things that your average geocacher/hiker/backpacker might have extras of, or have forgotten, or be in need of, I think caches need less "junk" and more items that are commonly found to be useful. I believe caches like that would do alot for the activity, and look forward to starting a few in the near future.

Kids caches are fine, but there are already alot of "happy meal" type toys out there, these type of toys keep a kids attention for about two minutes, Geocaching is a great opportunity for parents to teach children about consideration for others, fair trade, and sharing. You know most (not all) of the "happy meal" type toys are generally worthless, put them where they belong, in the trash not someone's cache.

We feel that the contents of a cache should reflect the surroundings, We are interested in starting some new caches in wilderness areas or along hiking trails were we enjoy backpacking and camping. We think that it would be cool if these caches would contain small items that would be handy for hikers and campers, and that they could leave something from their packs. Small inexpensive items that may be needed along the trail or in camp (parachute cord, waterproof matches, candles, knives, can openers, fire starters, instant hand/toe warmers, maps, trail guides, ponchos, plastic bags, batteries, small paperback books, cards, small games, toilet paper/kleenex, handi wipes, hotel size soap, flashlights, bandaids, moleskin, etc) basically things that your average geocacher/hiker/backpacker might have extras of, or have forgotten, or be in need of, I think caches need less "junk" and more items that are commonly found to be useful. I believe caches like that would do alot for the activity, and look forward to starting a few in the near future.

Kids caches are fine, but there are already alot of "happy meal" type toys out there, these type of toys keep a kids attention for about two minutes, Geocaching is a great opportunity for parents to teach children about consideration for others, fair trade, and sharing. You know most (not all) of the "happy meal" type toys are generally worthless, put them where they belong, in the trash not someone's cache.

Guest THEWILDBUNCH

Hey Clarencio, We're heading East and we're hitting every McDonalds on the Way. It just so happens we know an older individual who collects McDonalds toys. So to some these might be of value. And who cares! I thought geocaching was just for fun not profit. Our Kids love the adventure. They don't always find something they like but they always leave something and they have fun. Isn't that what this is all about?

------------------

Guest clarencio

quote:
Originally posted by THEWILDBUNCH:

Hey Clarencio, We're heading East and we're hitting every McDonalds on the Way. It just so happens we know an older individual who collects McDonalds toys. So to some these might be of value. And who cares! I thought geocaching was just for fun not profit. Our Kids love the adventure. They don't always find something they like but they always leave something and they have fun. Isn't that what this is all about?

I will say a prayer for your Kids health.

clarencio

Guest hipsterdoofus

I'm not really in the practice of going to caches just to get something out of them anyway. I think the point is to find the cache; the things inside are just extra to me..if there is something in there i want, fine, if not, it was at least fun finding the cache.

Guest Searcher

quote:

Call me a scrooge...-I think if a cache is set up to make kids happy, then say so in the beginning...

Sounds reasonable...I'd prbably want to focus on kid cachets and try to leave something cool - as in any hobby, they are our future...

And who knows, maybe even the kid-in-us-all will have some fun to!

Best Wishes

Ron