Waas And Epe

Just wondering about this. I did a search and people mentioned that the EPE was better with WAAS enabled/working on their gpsr.

My gpsr (Magellan Gold) doesn't give an EPE when it says that WAAS is "on". Is this unusual?

Someone told me it was because with WAAS there really is no error (it is accurate so doesn't have an EPE number). Is that correct?

Thanks!

What the OP is describing is on the position screen, where it otherwise gives the EPE, changes to say "Averaging" or "WAAS." A very annoying feature.

The good thing is that you can customize any other screen to give the EPE whenever you want. On my compass screen, I have customized the data fields to read the EPE and distance. It's very useful when I'm getting close to a cache, since I can simultaneously see the direction (arrow), the distance, and the EPE, so I know if the other data is reliable.

Jamie

Every Magellan I own (Meridian Plat, Sportrak Pro, Sportrak Color) show an EPE when WAAS is on. I'm not sure what is going on with your unit. It may just be your customizations. Without having the unit in my hand, it's hard to tell if it is a problem or a setting.

--Marky

i've got a basic sportrak and have noticed the same thing on the screen that displays your current coordinates. WAAS= no EPE readout.

at the base of that screen i've currently got it showing a compass heading, but you can cycle between that and UTM or other info, maybe i just need to change a setting.

i've found that WAAS averaged coordinates will tend to be dead on for me though, at a couple of benchmarks i've found and within 5 feet of a few caches. i tend to believe they're close after a couple of minutes.

works for me!! :D