How Do We Kill A Bug?

mblitch

I own a cache that has had a bug sitting for quite a while. I've been to the cache as has others and there is no sugn of the bug. It seems that I don't have the ability to kill the bug. I contacted the TB owner, and it seems they don't have the tag number any more and cannot even move it themselves. I got this message from them

"I'm sorry, I've been trying but it doesn't let me post that his whereabouts is unknown, and I can't pick him up myself because I don't know the tag number (my extras got lost during a camping trip). If you know how to pick him up without a number or how to change his location, let me know. otherwise I'm going to contact gc.com and see if they know how."

Any ideas how to get the bug removed so others do not try to visit the cache only to try to pick up a phantom bug? I've selected the 'report a bug missing', but not sure if that just triggers and email to the owner or if a certain number of requests are needed for anything to happen.

“Marked as Missing” will move it out of the cache to an 'unknown location'.

That's is exactly what you should in this case. Both the cache owner and bug owner have the ability. No number is needed.

I thought you were going to suggest to buy some RAID :)

To expand on what blue duce said. Since its your cache, log into the gc.com site, go the cache page in question, look along the upper RH side for the link to the TB, use the link. Now that your on the TB page, use the drop down menu in the upper RH corner, select 'report at missing'.

This moves the TB icon off your page, and shows the TB as being in location unknown, and it will remain in limbo till someone comes up with the number and moves it. It only takes ONE such log to get it moved. I would assume the owner will get a notice of the change, just like everything else posted to the page.

Correct as usual, IV. And furthermore, the OP is asking as a *cache owner*. A cache owner's only option is to "mark as missing." He can't send the bug to the graveyard unless he happens to know the code number. (This presumes that the TB owner is clueless/unresponsive/etc.... in the first instance it ought to be the bug owner's decision to move the bug to its preferred final resting place.)

Groundspeak volunteers also have the ability to mark a bug missing from any cache. For example, I know of one volunteer who recently cleaned up all the Yellow Jeeps that had been released in his territory, but have since "mysteriously" gone missing.

Groundspeak volunteers also have the ability to mark a bug missing from any cache. For example, I know of one volunteer who recently cleaned up all the Yellow Jeeps that had been released in his territory, but have since "mysteriously" gone missing.

I still consider myself a newbie, but I find it disturbing there are so many phantom travel bugs listed on cache pages. Maybe there is no way to stop this from occurring, lets face it folks don't always do the proper thing, but I sure wish our local volunteer would clean out all the phantom bugs. Lets say move everything to the 'unkown location' that has been inactive for more than 6 month, or that has had 2-3 cachers report it missing in the logs. Heck I volunteer to do so for the caches within my area, someone just give the authority/ability.

As a cache owner, I've verified the bug as not being in the cache, giving it several months to be logged out. After that period of time I send an email to the bug owner explaining it's missing and could they move it to an unknown location. If I don't hear back after a month or so, I just move the bug myself.

I own a cache that has had a bug sitting for quite a while. I've been to the cache as has others and there is no sugn of the bug. It seems that I don't have the ability to kill the bug. I contacted the TB owner, and it seems they don't have the tag number any more and cannot even move it themselves. I got this message from them

"I'm sorry, I've been trying but it doesn't let me post that his whereabouts is unknown, and I can't pick him up myself because I don't know the tag number (my extras got lost during a camping trip). If you know how to pick him up without a number or how to change his location, let me know. otherwise I'm going to contact gc.com and see if they know how."

Any ideas how to get the bug removed so others do not try to visit the cache only to try to pick up a phantom bug? I've selected the 'report a bug missing', but not sure if that just triggers and email to the owner or if a certain number of requests are needed for anything to happen.

You can put it in a travel bug cemetary