Geocaching Cover Ups

The only time I have ever been confronted was when we were looking for our very first cache. I had five of my kids with me, and we were walking back and forth across a parking lot trying to figure out how something could be hidden there when there was nothing but parking spaces and light poles. :P A couple in a car stopped to see if we needed help, and I was so embarrassed that all I could think to say was that we were playing a game. They looked at me like I was the worst mother in the world, and drove off. :lol:

I've only ever been really approached once while looking for a cache in a tiny, local park with one entrance/exit. My husband, friend, and I were alone and all in different parts of the park, looking in trees and fences and whatnot - not exactly inconspicuous - when someone showed up with his three dogs. He immediately knew what we were doing and said he brings his dogs there all the time and bumps into people looking for it regularly. He had tried to help about five times with other people but never found it before, and he was thinking it didn't exist anymore. He let us be, and we played with the dogs. He was really excited for us when we found it, and then we went on our way! :)

I've found that people are generally not willing to pursue a line of questioning. More often than not when I get asked "lose something?" or "looking for something?", I can just give a non-answer, smile and just keep looking and they won't ask any follow-up questions. If you think about it, how often do you interrogate people when you are out and about? Asking "looking for something?" is almost like saying "how's it going?" when you pass someone in the hallway...no real expectation of a thorough answer.