Donations Wanted: Gprs For Sri Lanka

rediguana

One of the lists I belong to just had an email come across where a GIS analyst is going to Sri Lanka to help with the recovery from the tsunami. They are looking at getting 80 GPSR's to create a local capability to collect spatial information for including in the GIS to be developed. Twenty have been donated to date.

If anyone is looking at getting a new GPS and wants a very worthwhile home for their old GPS, I can think of few more deserving uses. It is quite a donation to make however.

The contact email is r.shamir at cfa.vic.gov.au - this is the Country Fire Authority in Victoria, Australia for those curious.

Ron Shamir

CFA

Dear Mr. Shamir,

The Survey Department would very much like to take advantage of your services as a volunteer GIS coordinator, working between all the government, UN and NGO agencies currently involved in the post Tsunami assessment and reconstruction activities in Sri Lanka. This will help us continue the valuable work begun by the UK-based MapAction team, who left Sri Lanka a short while ago.

There is a considerable amount of work to do in harmonizing GIS information, coordinating the collection of GPS data, and in the use of air photography and remote sensed imagery for different applications. We will be very happy to provide you with office accommodation at the Survey Department and look forward to working closely with you. We understand that you will be available for up to 3 months.

We understand that you may be able to bring a considerable number of handheld GPS units, kindly contributed by Australian organizations, and we would appreciate this very much as we have insufficient for our needs in the field.

Yours sincerely,

B.J.P. Mendis

Surveyor General

Survey Department of Sri Lanka

PS: Ron has secured 20 GPS units of the target of 80 needed for the project.

Jim

Cheers Gav

I would be very leary about this posting.

The best way to donate to any aide effort is through a recognized group/charity such as The Red Cross,Unicef,Doctors Without Borders etc. etc.

Anytime you see unsolicited appeals for money or equipment it is best to investigate the source.

Dont be a Victim!

If someone is interested in following this up, go to the website (hosted on an offical gov.au domain), and make a phone call to the CFA to check it out. If you don't trust that, then look the number up in a phonebook or online directory...

Compare

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/contact.htm

to a search on http://www.whitepages.com.au/ for country fire authority, state victoria

for example

You should also be able to crosscheck with URISA - http://www.giscorps.org/ as I believe the project is being organised by them. It fact it may even be better to donate the GPS directly through URISA GISCorps.

I'm not suggesting that someone should donate in this case with no research, heck I wouldn't. But given our interests in GPS, I can at least post a lead for others to follow up on if they so choose. Thanks for the friendly reminder though Kermode.

Cheers Gav

Edited by rediguana