Gpsmap 60cs Tide Stations

I've seen no discussion on this topic. I can't be the only one who uses this function. Living in the Pacific Northwest and having a tide book in my GPSMAP 60CS of every tide station on the west coast was a bonus fearure. (Compairsons say only the 76 has it) It displays it in a graph by default and can be switched to hour & minute. Type in the date you want to go crabbing, clamming or beachcombing and see a graph for the entire day! :)

I use it all the time in my Map76. I love it. You can pick place and/or date and get a graph for it. You can also use this feature on your computer with the mapsource program by right clicking on any tide station.

Just a clarification. Its on Mapsourse Metroguide, but not Mapsourse Topo or Mapsourse Roads and Recreation. DOn't know about the other Mapsourse programs.

I could really use the tide reference station data but does anyone know why the download is listed on the GPSMAP 162 download page but not on the 60cs download page? I have a 60cs.

I believe they put it on the GPSMap162 site because one of the firmware upgrades to that unit changed how the tide station data was stored in its memory. So Garmin needed a way for owners of that model to restore their tide data using MapSource and they developed this download to do that.

But the download given there will work with any MapSource program and let you download the data to other receiver models that support tide data - it's not limited to the 162.

Does that include the Vista?

No it won't work with the standard Vista (I have tried it), but it does work with the Vista C. It will basically work with any Garmin unit that supports plotting (I'm out of luck on this with my Quest...even with it being a newer Garmin unit, it doesn't work). AFAIK, Garmin's spec sheets do not state if the unit in question is capable of plotting. About the only way you can tell if it will work with your unit is to actually try it. It won't hurt your unit to try it since the tide data is pretty much just a blank map with the tide stations on it.

Edited by SergZak
I've downloaded the tide reference station data and it works wonderfully on my pc using MapSource. I've tried transfering it to my gps (60cs) but can't seem to get it to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :o

Once installed on your computer, open MapSource....select City Select...choose what you want to load (the map titles)...switch your MapSource product over to the Tide product (162/168 Tide Points)...select the tide points transparent maps you want...then save the map set (all at once) to your unit via the save to device function. That way, the tide points and the street maps all get into the unit and coexist there at the same time. I beleive the tide map has 3 selectable areas: East, West and Gulf Coast. The tide points are a transparent map which will overlay your existing maps. Alaska to Mexico is a 51KB download. ;)