Gpsmap 76cs Software (from Garmin)

Wanted to ask the good folks here which software is most appropriate for automobile use with a Garmin GPSmap 76CS. I finally got mine in, and am ready to expand the basemap (though it seems reasonable, even showing a fair number of streets in my town).

Will also be wanting the Topo 100k software (much of my trekking will not be in National Parks, so no 24k for me :P )

Anyone suggest Metroguide over CitySelect? I think the current version of CS is what I am leaning to, but pro's or con's of either route are welcome.

Also, where would you all suggest for the lowest price on (new) software (from a reputable dealer) ? :P

Thanks much, I always enjoy browsing the posts here.

From what I understand the 76cs has the same firmware as the 60cs (which is what I have and rave about to everyone who will listen).

Anyway, for road use, get City Select. It has the same map data as the latest version of Metroguide, and it will do autorouting on the GPS unit whereas Metroguide will not. There is really no reason to get Metroguide for a routing GPS unit.

I have the same software setup (City Select and Topo USA) that you are looking at for my 60cs and it does a really good job for me.

Hope this helps!

I am planning to upgrade from a Legend to a 60CS later this year (after the new Magellan units caused the price drop). What I'm worried about a bit is that it'll just get harder to "override" whatever the autorouting thinks is a good route.

To make it clearer, I currently use MetroGuide v4 to plan my routes on the PC. And I usually fine-tune the generated route a bit. So I use "insert route section" until the route looks how I want it.

Is this route-fine-tuning (on PC) possible with City Select & 60CS too?

Jan

CitySelect 6 it will be, thanks for the input. Now I just have to get the case for the 76CS, external power plug / interface to APRS, external Gilsson antenna, cradle holder, . . . geesh! This is like restarting my GPS hobby.

Can't wait to see how this does with the topo software and the CitySelect too! :o