Help With Palm Zire

Ladycacher

I found a way that will work, but there has to be an easier way....I will check those sites and see what I can find...still any advise would help.

It'd help if you told us the way you're using right now! :P

Anyway, what I do is download a PocketQuery and then open it with Cachemate Converter, and select all caches that were found by me. Then I convert them and give them a name like found.pdb. Then I clear my selection and select all caches that were NOT found by me. I convert them and name the file unfound.pdb.

Then I just Hotsync my Palm.

When I go into Cachemate, it will prompt me to import the two databases and lets me choose which category each database goes under. "found" will be imported and stored under the category, "FOUND," and "unfound" under "NOT FOUND."

After importing has been completed, I view the FOUND category and set all its records to FOUND (I wish Cachemate would do this automatically!!!!).

For all subsequent PocketQueries, you really only need to upload the unfound caches to your Palm since it will now already have an up-to-date record of the ones you found -- assuming you've been updating Cachemate. Oh, set Cachemate so that when you check-off a cache as FOUND, it automatically moves it to the FOUND category.

I haven't found a need for any other software so far.

The way I cache is that I either choose caches because I see them on my GPSr's map display when I'm driving, or I choose them by viewing the area where I'm going in Mapsource (I load the PocketQuery file directly into Mapsource).

I use Cachemate only for looking up the cache's details and recent logs, logging the find, and that's about it. I guess I might also use it to find the nearest caches but my GPSr does a good job of simply display that on its map, anyway, and when I do find a cache, it automatically displays the next nearest one to me, anyway.

The growing support for GPX is making things a lot easier.

GeoBC

Edited by geobc
I am lost, that's all there is to it.

Well, if you got the Zire 72 Navigation pack, you may be lost but at least you will know where you are. [<_<]

I have a Zire 72 and at the risk of confusing you more, I will list the steps I take:

1. Open a pocket query .gpx file with GSAK
  2. filter out the caches I don't care about
  3. export to Cachemate (GSAK: File->Export->Cachemate PDB File)
  4. I press Hotsync on my palm

--Marky