Maximum Update Rate For Gps System ?

vr12

According to the manual on my SporTrak Pro, it updates once per second. :rolleyes:

I sure know it is 1Hz atleast.

But what is maximum "real" update rate possible in the GPS ?

There are units with 5hz propogated (aproximated) update rate, I am NOT intrested in these.

Edited by vr12
It seems parameter I am intrested in is called "fix rate"

Which theoretically can by continuous. But in most cases it is 1Hz.

5Hz update rate in some GPS recievers is "propogated" update rate.

According to its specifications, the Trimble model I cited does provide 20 position updates per second which would seem equivalent to a "fix rate" of 20 Hz. Yes, I'm aware that some receivers advertise a high rate but output data modeled from a lower actual rate, but AFAICT, that is not the case with this Trimble. Of course I expect the price tag will be quite high - performance exceeding that needed by a larger market generally is expensive.

If you have some other meaning in mind for either update rate or fix rate please let us know what you mean and/or something about the application.

If you have some other meaning in mind for either update rate or fix rate please let us know what you mean and/or something about the application.

It was theoretical question, I don't need this. One guy claimed he used GPS

for, measuring 0-60 mph acceleration with .1 sec accuracy.

A Garmin GPS 18 5Hz supplies data 5 times a second so will the speed information be able to be read on (say) a GPS 60 or 76CS with the Garmin Interface set to NMEA In / NMEA Out?

The 703 KB Technical Guide is complex and I cannot determine if a late model Garmin hand held GPS will display the speed.

Thanks for any help. I have a real application in mind, tournament water skiing, where rapid updates are useful.