Dash Mount/suction Mount

Jeff33

I'm new to geocaching, I just purchased a garmin 60cs. I can't wait to go and find my first cache but the weather isn't coperating here in the northeast. I'm interested in buying a mount for my car. Can someone tell me the diffrence between the suction mount and the dash mount?

I'm new to geocaching, I just purchased a garmin 60cs. I can't wait to go and find my first cache but the weather isn't coperating here in the northeast. I'm interested in buying a mount for my car. Can someone tell me the diffrence between the suction mount and the dash mount?

You didn't specify which ones you were interested in, but generally, dash mounts either stick or screw to the dash (and generally use a quick release so you can remove the mount from the permanently attached piece) or they sit on the dash by means of a rubber-bottomed bean bag. Suction cup mounts typically attach to the windshield.

I chose a suction cup mount (choose a system with a large suction cup!). I've tried others, including the adhesive mount for the Streetpilot 2610. It started to ooze off the dash during a summer heat wave. Quite messy.

I also wanted a mounting system that could easily be moved from vehicle to vehicle. The suction cup mount was, for me, the most versatile.

I bought the RAM mount for my 76C and highly recommend it.

GeoBC

I've got a RAM mount suction-cup device for my 76S and love it. The RAM mount comes with a lifetime warranty as well, and I just had to have mine replaced.

The only problem I've had is that if you have the mount stuck in your window during the daytime in summer when it's in direct sunlight, the rubber on the suction cup can melt to the window. Each time you take it off in this situation, the rubber deteriorates a little bit, and it loses the seal.

When I had to finally have mine replaced, the gentleman at RAM said that this was a fairly common problem. I asked what I could do to prevent it and he indicated that an occasional spraying with Armor All or something similar protects the rubber and enhances the seal.

I haven't had a single problem yet.

Why a suction cup mount instead of a dash mount? Sometimes I have to take my wife's car while pursuing Geo-sports. Also, I have an aversion to anything permanently mounted in my car. Something about the "resale value" - but that's just me (I also don't like bumper stickers for that same reason).

Personally I like the beanbag mount, but then I don't place my GPS above the level of the dash. It sits nicely on the console of my van and in my other car I clamped a board that rests on the pulled-out ashtray and the seat. It's exactly at hand level and reach postion. It's easy to get familar with the buttons. I can get to the screen I want before I have to take my eyes off the road.

And I've never had it slide off or even move

I guess it depends on what type of car you have but that's what I recommend.

Happy caching

Edit: typos

Edited by BlueDeuce

FWIW, I bought a cheapie dash mount from ebay. It was intended to mount to the dash with double-sided adhesive, but I wanted to use this both in my car and on the motorcycle, so I attached 3M DuoLock to the double-stick stuff. It works great and was only $13 shipped or so.

The rubber-bottomed beanbag sounds like a great idea. If I have problems with adhesives getting gummy in the summer, I may look into that.

If you use a suction cup mount there is an easy way to replace the suction cups when they deteriorate without replacing the whole mount. Simply go to your local pet store that has aquarium items and you will find suction cups there that are generally used to secure silicone tubing in fish tanks. These can also be adapted with little trouble to replace worn or torn suction cups on your mount.

This works with any mount for any brand of unit.

I used a suction mount for my Magellan and it worked quite well, but you always left circles on the windshield from the suction cups that were hard to remove. I now use the bean bag mount with my 60CS. The only problem with it is when you are using it on a 4X4 off road. Doesn't want to stay in place when RK is bouncing his Bronco in the back country.

:D

I used a suction mount for my Magellan and it worked quite well, but you always left circles on the windshield from the suction cups that were hard to remove. I now use the bean bag mount with my 60CS. The only problem with it is when you are using it on a 4X4 off road. Doesn't want to stay in place when RK is bouncing his Bronco in the back country.

:D

Simply go to your local pet store that has aquarium items and you will find suction cups there that are generally used to secure silicone tubing in fish tanks. These can also be adapted with little trouble to replace worn or torn suction cups on your mount.

Scott, how big do they make them? The one on my RAM mount is about 4" dia.

It holds REALLY well, btw.

GeoBC

If you use a suction cup mount there is an easy way to replace the suction cups when they deteriorate without replacing the whole mount. Simply go to your local pet store that has aquarium items and you will find suction cups there that are generally used to secure silicone tubing in fish tanks. These can also be adapted with little trouble to replace worn or torn suction cups on your mount.

Why do that? If I've got a RAM suction cup mount that deteriorates, they'll replace the entire unit for life.

Why do that? If I've got a RAM suction cup mount that deteriorates, they'll replace the entire unit for life.

Oh, good point. Do u happen to know if they require proof of purchase? I don't see why they would but hey, you never know!

If they do, I may have to make special arrangements to keep my receipt (I'm pretty bad with that kind of thing).

GeoBC

Nope - I actually bought mine through TVNav.com, and when I talked to my contact there about the mount, they sent me directly to RAM. I talked with the RAM guy, and he indicated that I just needed to ship it to them, and they sent out a new one, exactly the same. VERY customer friendly.

One other little piece of info...I use a triple suction mount for my Magellan...and in addition to rough roads occassionally knocking it off, cold/freezing temps also inhibit the suction cups from being flexible enough to hold. Warm air from the defroster eventually does help...but it can be aggravating when your GPSr suddenly falls down onto the dash :blink:

Of course, this is only useful info for those of us who are crazy enough to go out in those temps :):):huh::P

Edited by D-cachers

being a newby AND a geek, I have my Garmin V in on the automount sitting on top of my CB Radio sitting on top of my 100 channel Scanner, all powered off a 3 outlet power point splitter. (all sitting in the middle of my dashboard), the key to all this is adhesive sided Velcro, automount base velcroed to the CB which is velcroed to the scanner which is velcroed to the dash in back and ontop of the Power point splitter in front. everything can be lifted off and put away/carried inside. mag mount antennas, antenna cables held down with snap clips so they can be removed as well.

localy, not a problem with leaving things in the car, but on a trip to "the big city", it all gets taken inside with us.