Garmin Ique 3600

The SuzyQs

I have an iQue and would be happy to help you with any questions. The users manual isn't the easiest to follow. I've only been able to figure out what I have by playing with the machine and by asking questions here. One of the first issues he will encounter is not enough memory. So expect to purchase extra memory.

The iQue is a great device. I have had one since the fall of 2003. It is also a complicated device and has had some problems in the early models with the antenna. Battery life has also been a problem. If he has any problems or questions the Garmin techs are great. I use it with Cachemate for paperless caching and for routing to the parking lot. With the NAV part of Cachemate in a side by side comparsion with my GPS 76S it did as well in looking for a cache. I found 20 caches in a row when my 76S quit functioning on a trip and I forgot how to reset it. I also updated from V5 to V6 on City Select. Depends on where you live and how much you travel if it is worth the bother to upgrade. If it is a new unit Garmin will give you the unlock codes for the upgrade. You might want to preview V6 on the Garmin site to see if V6 is that much better. If you travel to Canada V6 is much more extensive. SD memory cards are cheap now. I use a 250 mb which covers all that I need. Even the 1 Gb cards are reasonable. Best of luck. Dick, W7WT

If you Dad is just going to use it in his RV, it should work out fine. With it getting power from the RV rig, the battery would not be a problem. We have just a small van type RV (Roadtrek) and I have the power to the iQue comming directly from the battery through fuses. That way you can keep a satellite fix when you turn the motor off during a short stop. Best of luck to him. Dick, W7WT

Ok, next question... We have figured out how to get the maps into the unit/SD card, but it is not allowing us to load the routes we created on the computer to the iQue. We have upgraded the City Select to Version 6, vise the version 5 that came with it. We are also having difficulty downloading the track logs from the gps to the computer. Any help would be great.

Ok, we are now having issues getting maps onto the card. Well, a lot of maps. If he only loads NY state, it syncs fine. If he adds another state, then it "Looses Connection with PC" Is there a limit on the megs of maps that you can put in other than card space? He has a 1 Gig card, so space is not an issue. He does not have a laptop that he can travel with, so he wants to load all his maps before he leaves home to head out.

You may want to try the forums on pdastreet.com which has a lot of information on the iQue 3600.

About the map problem. You can't just add another state. A new map must be loaded (synced) each time. There is only one map file for the detail maps. You may also want to invest a few bucks in a card reader. Files can be added much faster to the memory card.

Hope this helps.

nscaler :anitongue:

I just spent a few hours messing with my Ique. I have a tip for anybody using cachemate with the Ique. The ex button on the cachmate page will export all waypoints into the Garmin Maps. The problem is that it will dump them into the unfiled file if you do not specify a file. Hit it twice and you have a double list. I recommend making a "GEO" file or two and storing the caching addresses in there. That way you can just delete the whole file and make a new one if you trash a file with duplicate records.

I probably spent a couple of hours sorting through all the waypoints and deleting them. This completely changed my attitude towards my IQUE. I thought it was pretty much worthless as a caching tool, excellent for driving down the road.

I have been using Easy GPS and a GPS V for driving and a Rino 120 for cross country. I can see where the IQUE will work very nicely now that I finally figured out how to use the waypoint tools through cachemate. I also use a Dell Axim for paperless caching, but can see now that I would not have made that purchase had I made myself familar with this program first. Glen* :lostsignal:

Ok, we believe that we have figured out the map thing. He had his hotsync cradle and card reader plugged into a USB hub. Once we tried plugging it into the computer directly, everything seems to be fine now. He has the entire east coast, from Maine to Florida out to the Mississippi River on his SD card now. Now that is impressive. If my 60C only had that much memory....

I am happy for him, and thanks for letting us know. Too often we never know just how things work out. I know the frustration of trying to get the unfamiliar iQue to function for what you wish. When you finally get all the ducks lined up, it is a wonderful instrument. Betty does a great job it telling you where to go. Dick, W7WT