Geocoin Guide Lines For Creating Them

kiltsurfer

I am thinking about designing and creating my own Geocoins. I have seen lots of postings on where to get them done, but I haven’t seen any guidelines for creating them.

I am hoping that this is the correct place to post, we do talk a lot about Geocoins here.

I am also hoping that this will get others to create their personal coins.

From what I have gathered:

State coins cannot make a profit (I understand why). Most personal coins are not for sell and therefore will never make a profit.

What are the guidelines for using geocaching.com or travelertags.com? What about the logo like we see on the TX and Calif coins, can we use that?

Do I need to have my design approved by geocaching.com before I create them?

I know tracking will not be done on geocaching.com, it’s up to me to find a way of tracking these coins.

What other questions or concerns should I have before I start the design process?

Thanks for your input.

Kiltsurfer

kiltsurfer:

If you plan on using the geocaching.com logo on the geocoin, check out their Logo Usage and Trademark Guidelines.

If the logo is allowed, it has to be pristine; it cannot have any alterations to it. A couple of years ago, alterations were approved by gc.com for some items. For example, see the Rhode Island anchor on the Team FISUR Geocoins. However, based upon legal advice concerning trademark law, such changes are no longer allowed.

Check out brdad's Public Domain Geocaching Logos Page for other available logos.

For examples of some of the geocoins out there, check out our page on Geocoin Designs.

Hope this helps.

Team FISUR

State coins cannot make a profit (I understand why). 

How can this be? Since Groundspeak will not track coins, how can they have any say in this matter. How could this possibly be enforced? Anyone can have any manufacturer make a coin and put a number and state name on it. Make money... that is simple supply and demand.

While your "guidelines" are certianly good ideas (that I also agree with), I would not go beyond the term "guideline" (which you have been careful not to do).

Edited by Rupert2

State coins cannot make a profit (I understand why). 

How can this be? Since Groundspeak will not track coins, how can they have any say in this matter.

I think it has to do with using the forums to advertise and/or using the Geocaching logo or web address. There are a lot of things to do with trademarks. In reading about productions of many of the state coins there is always someone saying that they are not making a profit. If you read on the Calgary Geocoins post you will see a post by ibycus stating:

“I received a private message from a moderator about this post.

Just wanted to make it clear, that I am not selling these coins for profit. I don't expect to make much if any money out of the venture. Any money that I do make, if significant will go towards prizes etc at local caching events or to put in caches etc.”

I’m thinking it has a lot to do with the forum and the “rules” for posting, but I have seen something like this posted a few different times. That’s why I was surprised to see the West Tenn Geocoin having a company logo on one side. I thought for sure that it would be seen as a form of advertising. (Not that I am trying to get anyone it trouble, I think the coins are great!!!)

Maybe I am just sticking my foot in my mouth and I should learn to shut it…..

Edited by kiltsurfer
The coins can't make a profit if they're going to be tracked on this site. From what I understand, there is a per coin charge to have them tracked on GC.com. It may or may not be worth it to some people. Personally, I say it is.

Is gc.com now making deals to track various geocoins?

I think it has to do with using the forums to advertise and/or using the Geocaching logo or web address. There are a lot of things to do with trademarks. In reading about productions of many of the state coins there is always someone saying that they are not making a profit. If you read on the Calgary Geocoins post you will see a post by ibycus stating:

yes theres the 'don't use the groundspeal logo not approved / within the logo usage guidelines', and your not to be avertising here (except in approved situations). but I don't think thats anything specially with geocoins.

If you read on the Calgary Geocoins post you will see a post by ibycus stating

<snip>

Yeah it was to do with posting commercial messages to the forum (a definite no-no), but as I'm not going to be making any money off of these, its not a commercial venture, and the posting was allowed.

I hadn't even thought before I posted that it might be regarded as commercial (reading my original post though I can easily see how it could have been taken like that). Also if you're going to use the Groundspeak logo on the coin, its *probably* easier to get it approved if you aren't selling them for profit (although the Calgary one hasn't been approved yet, so I really have no basis to put this on, expecting word any day now.)

So here's the deal. If you're using the gc.com logo they have to approve your design. I know when I contacted them about using the die they already had made for the Oregon coin I had to sign a contract. I had the choice of one stating I wouldn't make a profit or one agreeing on paying a per use fee. So I assume it's the same with any major use of their logo. Make a few no problem make a bunch and you need to kick some money back to them after approval if they okay your design.

So here's the deal. If you're using the gc.com logo they have to approve your design. I know when I contacted them about using the die they already had made for the Oregon coin I had to sign a contract. I had the choice of one stating I wouldn't make a profit or one agreeing on paying a per use fee. So I assume it's the same with any major use of their logo. Make a few no problem make a bunch and you need to kick some money back to them after approval if they okay your design.

Thanks, that's what I was kind of looking for. Do you know if the colors are part of there logo? For example my surf board uses the colors of GC.com, would that be close enough to their logo that I would need to check with them?

Just "CYA" type of question.

THANKS

So here's the deal.  If you're using the gc.com logo they have to approve your design.  I know when I contacted them about using the die they already had made for the Oregon coin I had to sign a contract.  I had the choice of one stating I wouldn't make a profit or one agreeing on paying a per use fee.  So I assume it's the same with any major use of their logo.  Make a few no problem make a bunch and you need to kick some money back to them after approval if they okay your design.

Thanks, that's what I was kind of looking for. Do you know if the colors are part of there logo? For example my surf board uses the colors of GC.com, would that be close enough to their logo that I would need to check with them?

Just "CYA" type of question.

THANKS

That's sort of up to you. I don't have any references, but I've hear in the past gc.com raising flack about some designs that do that. And each time people point out that gc.com's logo looks a little like a couple of others that pretty much use the same colour scheme. And that you can't really copyright colours. So I would say go for it.