Garmin Software Trouble

Just got a brand new computer and have been trying to install Topo and Metroguide v6 without much luck.....I tried installing MG first and then Topo, but when I go to start Mapsource it open for about 2 seconds and then the whole program closes...so I tried installing Topo first and the MG....no luck does the same thing.....Well searching through Garmin site for an update I found one for Mapsource and I thought "Very nice..."......Nope, still doesn't work....Tried calling Garmin, but got the 20-30 minute hold time. Anyone have any suggestions?....I've done just about everything I can think of..... Thanks in advance!

Edited by thujaplicata

I just finished hanging up with the Garmin Tech folks. They had to walk me thru clearing stuff out my my register and temp files, then uninstall & reinstall my Mapsource N.A. that I got yesterday. Something on my computer got hosed during the uninstall of my old software which caused a problem with the new stuff...

Anyway, the Tech guy was very helpful and everything works fine now - I would wait the 30 minutes!

"Bassmedic"

Ed: spelling

Edited by Bassmedic

I had the EXACT same problem as you except it was "City Navigator v6" and Topo. I originally installesd CN6 first and had it working, then installed Topo and it worked in Topo until I chnnged maps. Then every time I'd try to run Mapsource, it would close automatically when it tried to start just like you're describing.

Since CN6 (just like MG6) is WAY newer than Topo, I figured it'd be best to uninstall both (in the reverse order of which they were installed) and reinstall starting with Topo first. After I installed Topo, I started it several times, switched maps and did various things in it to make sure it worked, THEN installed CN6 and all is fine. I too tried the v6.5 update for Mapsource, and would suggest NOT adding that into the mix until after you get everything else working.

Hope you have some luck with it, and let us know what tech support says if you ever get throught to them.....