Palm Os Mapping Software

claritey

Hi all,

I have been having trouble finding mapping software for my pda that does what I need it to. I searched through the posts in this forum but really didn't come up with a good answer. I have Palm OS 5.2.1 on a Sony Clie PEG TJ25 and have been using GSAK, cachemate, and StreetFinder. However the problem with StreetFinder is there is no way to add waypoints to the map using .gpx/.loc files or even manually inputting coordinates. It does have a gps function, but I'm not really wanting to hook my gpsr up to the pda in the field. I'm not sure that would help me much anyway as what I really need the pda for is for driving directions..

What I have been doing is noting the location of the cache on my home PC with mapquest then marking that location in streetfinder. However this is a tedious process and want to eliminate the PC altogether (other than for downloading pocket

queries to GSAK.)

I would love to have a map on my pda that utilizes .gpx files so I can see all the caches I have in cachemate on a city level map but can zoom in to the street level to individual caches & provide driving directions from cache to cache. I don't think there's a program that does all this!

I had tried the mapopolis demo to see if it could do this for me, but I could not figure out how to add a waypoint based on a coordinate (I read somewhere it is possible indirectly) or incorporate .gpx files to display on the map. Does someone here know how to do this or if not is there another mapping program for palm os that has this feature?

Thanks for your help,

Clara

Maplets in Mapopolis are only usable on the PPC. The Palm version doesn't use them, it stores coordinates in the address book. If you do decide to export your caches to Mapopolis, make sure to create a separate category to hold them, because otherwise your address book will be cluttered up with caches forever. If all you ever use the Palm for is caching, then it's not that bad a deal, but then if all you ever use the Palm for is caching, then you're really wasting a valuable resource.

Ok...finally figured out what the deal was....!

I didn't know there was mapopolis plugin for cachemate I had to download.

I was about to tear my hair out trying to figure out just how cachemate could export waypoints so I went to the website to check out the FAQ...and luckily I noticed there are plugins for cachemate....I feel so silly now.

So yeah, I got it to work but my only complaint now is that the mapopolis map of San Antonio isn't all that detailed....the street I live on & the whole surrounding neighborhood isn't on the map so I have to keep StreetFinder on my PDA because it has a better map.

Before I go and purchase Mapopolis, is there a way to get more detailed maps for it or are the maps in other mapping programs any better?

<snip> So yeah, I got it to work but my only complaint now is that the mapopolis map of San Antonio isn't all that detailed....the street I live on & the whole surrounding neighborhood isn't on the map </snip>

:blink: Odd, are you in a very newly developed area? I live in a small town ( <10,000) on Vancouver Island and my area in only a few years developed and all the streets are there. You aren't by chance looking at one of the overview/highway maps are you?

Mapopolis does update their maps, and your subscription is good for a year, hopefully it will be updated by then. I haven't looked at any of the other Palm mapping products though. Fugawi has a module which will export a chunk of map (w/ waypoints) to your Palm, but it's static and eats a big chunk of memory.

Mapopolis buys its mapping data from Navteq, just like most other companies. There are fairly recent maps out, released fairly recently. You have to buy the new ones, though - there is no free or even cheap upgrade. The Navteq licensing won't allow it. Some mapping programs use Tiger census data, and these may be newer, but the detail isn't as great. Tiger is the least detailed data you can get, and usually the cheapest. If the map program is cheap, it's likely using Tiger data, and I would avoid it.

Well I was looking at the map again and aside from my street missing it is specific enough for geocaching purposes. I'm pretty sure its not a new neighborhood, but it is a tiny side street. I was comparing it to the rand mcnally map I have on StreetFinder and it seems to be of a similar detail level. Thanks for your help everyone!

Claritey:

I have the CLie TJ25 also. I use Street Atlas. GSAK or GPSBabel will create a file that you can export to your PDA. All of the caches will show up on the map, with their name on the map. The maps are quite good. YOu can also attach a GPSr with serial/NMEA output and it will show your position on the map, speed, location, distances.

Once you learn where the files are in Street Atlas on your PC, you can combine files and groups of waypoints.