Magellan Sportrak Map - Connection To Pc

I received the Magellan SporTrak map a couple of days ago and the device appeared to function correctly until this morning.

It will not connect to my computer as it has over the past couple of days. I was able to send/receive waypoints to the device with no problems. After that, I uploaded the Magellan standard software update V5.34 and was still able to send/receive waypoints to the device.

This morning I tried to load some new waypoints and was unable to connect. I checked the PC settings for Com1 and found that it was set to 4800/8/N/1/Hardware as it should be and double checked the GPS was set to 4800.

I've re-installed EasyGPS and even installed ExpertGPS with no success.

The battery was changed so there is a fresh set in the set as well.

Any Suggestions

This is most likely the culprit - look for a modem, palm, or some other serial device. In my case I have to disable teh software that is used to back up our cell phones. It connects via serial port also. I have that and the STMap wired into the same (only) serial port via an old A/B switch. To use 1 or the other I have to be sure the switch is set right and the phone softwar is not in control of COM1. Also, some software (such as MapSend) requires that the port be free before you start it. Others, like GSAK, don't care when you free it up, just as long as you do before you try the tfransfer.

I have a PDA that connects via USB but has not been plugged in since I received the GPS last Friday so I doubt that is the problem. Nothing I have except for the GPS Connects to the serial port. All other devices I have utilize USB.

The system has been re-booted a number of times and I've even tried deleting Com1 from the device manager and having Win2K re-install it and still have had no luck.

I guess my next move is to try to use it on a friends system to determine if the fault lies with my O/S or the device/cable.

Palm Hotsync, if it is running at all, is known to grab all serial ports, even if it is connected via USB. It is set up to autostart by default, so rebooting doesn't always help. Try setting hotsync to start only when you tell it to, or only when you have the Palm desktop app open. Right click on the hotsync icon, click on "Setup . . ." and click something other than "Always Available". Then reboot.

Sounds like the caching gods intervened, but you may want to look at the hotsync issue nonetheless.