Garmin Gps V Serial Number?

welch

Im thinking of sending my V in to get it serviced (actually all i need is a new flap/plug that covers the connection, but I expect they won't want to just send me the piece). The problem is that when I fill out the online email page it keeps asking for a serial number. According to the ' help' thing its supposed to be on the back of the unit. But its not.... theres a worn almost white sticker that it could have been on, but otherwise nothing.

Is the number anywhere else on the unit?

Is the ID number found on the software version page any help?

What should I do?

Anyone have any experience with garmin about this? Can they look up the number since I think I registered when I first go the unit?

I have the box and recepit, will they work on it even if we can't locate a number?

Yes, that white sticker sounds like the serial number tag. At least that's where it was at one time on my eMap - first the number wore off and now the whole sticker is gone.

I'd give them a call on their 800 number. I've had better results that way than by email. You might even get someone who's willing to just mail you the flap and avoid the shipping hassles and downtime.

Welsh if you go to Garmin's website and choose Mapsource unlock, under returning customer click on "forgot your coupon number" and provide them with your email address. You will get an immediate email back showing all the info on their files including your V's serial number.

Cheers, Olar

There is a way to pull the SN off the unit when you use a star up key press, I dont recall it off hand BUT if you search the forums for GPS V FAQ you should find a link to the sight.

I just had to back flash my B to 2.08 and do a hard reset of teh system to get some bugs out of it.

Now working great. Call Tech support they sent me 2 covers some time ago FOC. Now if I could just talk them into stuffing the guts of a 60cs into my V's case I would be set :huh:

-Robert

I have the box and recepit, will they work on it even if we can't locate a number?

You say you have the box...the serial number is also located on the original product box on a similar (if not exactly the same) looking sticker. In my experience, the stickers are almost always located on the top black section of the box. The sticker will be white with a black bar code and the serial printed just below the bar code.

thanks for all for the replies.

Olar, I tired that but the site keeps telling me my email is not found ;)

robAGB, looked and found a link to this site. it has a lot of interesting stuff, like finding out the new firmwares disable the hard reset. I'm not sure if tells how to find the serial though, unless is listed as freqenty on the diagonistic page?

SergZek, yes there was a sticker on the upper part of the box. It has eight digits, so I think thats it :ph34r: .

to add an ending to this.

sent my question to garmin threw their website. Got a email the next day saying they would happy to just send me the piece, no need to return the unit to them :( . So I replied to confirm my mailing info, got a reply saying the thing had been send and three days later it arrived.

:(:D:D