How Many Tb Hotels Is Too Many?

LeoGeo

We're thinking of creating a new TB hotel here in Dallas, but wondered whether anyone had any advice as to the maximum desireable "density" of hotels in a given area. There's at least one hotel already in the city ("Travel Bug Depot"), two in adjacent suburbs ("Hotel California" and "Town East"), and one over near the DFW airport. If there are too many hotels too close together, I realize that they could split up the "business" so much that none of them would have very many bugs at any given time. On the other hand, this is a big city with lots of geocachers. Do you think it could support one more?

That's a good question.

Pocatello didn't have one so I started one. Then we got a cache maggot and we got two more that were a little more secure. In my opinion that's too many for my town, but they all see some play.

It's really a function of convenience. A place to drop off a bug you have been holding too long, or if all you have found is micro's, you can dash over and move a TB on. In that light as long as a hotel is convenient for a pool of cachers to where it see's activity, it's ok.

At first blush I'd say 5 miles apart is too close. That would rule out one of the local hotels, but I'm certainly not going to worry about it beyond this discussion.

I view hotels as large caches with ‘easy’ access, and nothing more. Seems like an obvious statement, but I’m serious, nothing more.

The question is not are you taking away business, it’s what are you adding? If you think the location is worth a cache AND it can support being a hotel, do it.

In fact, should one hotel get muggled you might actually be protecting bugs by spreading them out a bit.