1) Firmware 2) Antenna

eremite

Perusing the various Garmin map60c/s threads, I didn't come across the answer to either of the following questions:

1) I have firmware version 3.4 on my unit, but we're up to 3.6 now (on the Garmin website). But is there any appreciable difference between the firmwares either in GPS performance (ie. instant, unlosable sattelite lock with 100% accuracy down to 6 inches), or in GPS features (like bluetooth compatabilty with Mac OS's)? Maybe those examples are a little extreme (perhaps in v.4.0?), but you get the idea. I'm wonder if its it worth the trouble of updating, considering I use a Mac and PC's are not entirely readily available to me right now.

2) Do the external antennas (antannae?) suck more power from the unit? Also, do the external antennas have a better inherent reception or is simply a way to move the antenna away from obstructions - like a car roof and walls? I'm thinking specifically of the Garman or Gilsson antennas.

Thanks for any help anyone might be able to give.

-eremite

The upgrade from 3.4 to 3.5 adds some nice functionality, in particular in managing map sets when you have topo and street maps loaded for the same location. There are a number of other upgrades to the unit's functionality, (such as increased precision when projecting waypoints, and better track log recording in "auto" mode), but it does not increase the accuracy of the GPSr. I think most people who have upgraded to 3.5 are happy with it.

3.6 fixes some very specific problems relating to "baud rate for RTCM communications mode" (whatever that means). I'm still using 3.5.

External antennae do draw a very small amount of power from the batteries, but I have not seen a noticable change in battery life (using 2300MA rechargable N--MH batteries and a Gilsson patch antenna). I get much better signal with the external, even if it is held near the GPSr, due to its large size. It also lets me clip the GPSr to my belt while walking without losing signal, when the antenna is attached to the strap on my backpack.

Hope this helps!

roflol royta!

But as a matter of fact, Apple is in the R&D phase of exactly that: a GPS that is accurate to 6 inches, never loses lock. And while it doesn't come w/ mapping software, and Apple is planning on offering any, what they do offer is much, much better. That is, a sort of universal mapping translation program. With it users will be able to load any map - Garmin, Magellan, National Geo., anything! - onto their units.

Well, not really, but it'd be cool, wouldn't it??

Yeah, my initial plan was to go with VPC, but after reading this thread it sounds to me like more hassle than it's worth - issues with non-standard USB communications, etc. So, instead I load the maps where I'll be, and do everything else by hand. A pain in the butt, but not as frustrating as wrestling with uncooperative computers. But I'm alwasy keeping an eye out for a cheap, bare-bones PC laptop, which, considering the price of VPC and the the USB->serial adapter needed to make a VPC'd Mac talk to a Garmin, may even be cheaper. And certainly less headache.

Besides, I'm loath to corrupt my beautiful, non-crashing Mac with anything micro$oft. ;-)