Searching For "didn't Find It" (not Found) Logs

solid-rock-seekers

I know that I can locate my own "Didn't Find It" (Not Found) logs on my own geocaching page (http://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1&lt=3) but I am looking for a way to look for the "Didn't Find It" logs for another user. I have searched through old forum posts, but haven't seen this type of search described before.

Is there a way to do this? Sometimes the logs that are most interesting to read are the ones that were "Didn't Find It" entries.

Thanks!

I got to thinking about that... I wish there was a way to look at others' DNF logs. Even though some folks look at DNF's as a shameful act, some of those logs tend to have great entertainment value and deserve to be viewed as intended when written.

As an inveterate logger of DNFs, I used to think that I would be interested in this feature too. It would be nice to know which of our fellow cachers are honest (and helpful) enough to log their "failures". Helpful, because of the 15 or so DNFs I've logged, 2 turned out to be due to the cache being missing (in one case the owner was down there the next day; in the other, nothing happened, but the cache eventually got archived).

However, I've recently started converting my DNFs to Notes, if (and only if) I subsequently either log a find, or the cache turns out to have been missing. That way, my DNF list is in effect a list of caches I "need" to return to. So if I ever get round to finding them all (and don't have any more DNFs in the meantime, ha) I will appear to be a "bad DNFer". Hmmm, moral dilemma...

Nick

I'd personally leave the DNF's as they stand. Changing it to a Note just looks like you're embarrassed about not having found it. I've gotten past that paritular embarrassment when it took me 6 weeks to find a cache that everyone else seemed to find rather easily.

DNF's are a part of the cacher's history as well as the cache's. They make for interesting reading. I know of a few in my neck of the woods who have turned some of them into some of the best reading more so than the Found logs have been.

I know that I can locate my own "Didn't Find It" (Not Found) logs on my own geocaching page (http://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1&lt=3) but I am looking for a way to look for the "Didn't Find It" logs for another user. I have searched through old forum posts, but haven't seen this type of search described before.

Is there a way to do this? Sometimes the logs that are most interesting to read are the ones that were "Didn't Find It" entries.

Thanks!

You've never been able to see another person's DNF logs through their profile. There's been talk of creating "buddy lists", where you'll be able to set a watch on another cacher (but only with their permission), in the same way you can watch a cache. You'll get copies of all the logs they post. But that's sometime in the future.