Maps

marksheinfeld07

I certainly haven't read all there is to read about geocaching; but I still don't understand how one gets started. What I mean is; having decided to go off and find someones cache, do you need any "hard-copy" maps to get you going, or is the presumption that the individual will have provided some initial "prompting" to get you going and than start using your gps device to start homeing in on locations and directions.

Many people print the cache page. Some also use the links on the page to print Mapquest and/or topo maps. Sometimes I make notes on the basic cache info, and I also use my Palm Pilot.

To start with, i would suggest printing the page for a local cache or two, preferably fairly close together, and take them with you. If you have a general idea of where to go it really helps, so you might want the Mapquest maps also. If there are caches in an area you are familiar with, that is a good place to start.

Your GPSr will give you a straight-line indication of how to get to the cache as the crow flies. Often, there are obstacles that prevent a straightline approach, so the maps can help a lot. Things like rivers, mountains, freeways, etc., can get in the way. If you have the time it might be nice to hike over a ountain rather than drive around, but soemtimes it is a matter available time. Once you get fairly close (less than a mile or so) then your GPSr becomes a better guide than the maps, usually.

So, here is the way I suggest someone start:

1. Select a couple of easier caches (low numbers for difficulty and terrain) that are in a nearby area. The better you know the specific area, the better your chances.

2. Print the cache pages and mapquest maps, and take them with you. Resist the link to make a "print friendly" version of the page. The logs can often help you!

3. Get the waypoints into your GPSr, preferably downloading using your computer and a program like EasyGPS. (www.easygps.com)

4. Go for it!

5. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again! Most of us took a couple of tries before making our first finds.

6. Once you have foudn a cache or two, expect to give up your free time for the next few months. Plan to shop in discount stores for geoswag. Check out programs for obsessive/compulsive disorder.

Concurrent with all of the above have some fun, and take a friend or family member! My son and I have spent some great times together our hunting tupperware int he wild...

Good luck,

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

I click on the map near the bottom of the cache description page, which brings up the mapquest website with the map. I zoom in as much as I can, until I can just see a road I know and the cache 'star'. I print that on the back of the cache description page, and take it with me.

If I didn't have a auto-routing GPSr in my car, I would use the map to get me to the parking spot closest to the cache. My eTrex is useless as a car GPSr.

A lot of caches give you the coordinates to the best parking area, if that's the case I plug those numbers into my Street Pilot III auto-routing GPSr, and let it take me to the parking spot, when I get close I turn on my eTrex and set it up on the dash, so it can start locking onto the sat signals. Then get out with my cache hunt bag (a leather camera case, with my stamp, pens & pencils, extra logbook, Quart size ziplock freezer bag, and bunch of small trading items, with a big belt loop that I put my hand through), digicam, compass and eTrex, MARK A WAYPOINT AT THE CAR (and mark it 'car') and head towards the cache.

Don't go without a compass, when you stop and turn around, or move in anything other than a straight line, your GPSr has no idea which way north is (it only knows where you are) this is the worst when you are closest to the cache, check you compass to see where north is, rotate your GPSr until it's north is the same as the compass north, then you can trust that the heading arrow on the GPSr is pointing to the cache, (until you are within 20 or so feet of the cache, then it's a crap shoot (with week sat signals that distance increases).

I'm still new (22 finds) and these are the points that helped me start out the most. Others, most certainly, do it differently, and you will need to find the best way for you, this works for me, so far if the cache is there I have found it. (bound to change soon).

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures