Accidental--still count as a find?

GeoBard

actually, i guess the point is moot since i already logged it. i don't have a gps unit yet (i'm hoping santa comes through), but i happened upon a cache accidently while walking in a nearby park. sltnln, but since i wasn't looking for it in the first place, should i have logged it, or am i technically still a virgin?

"What country, friends, is this?" (Twelfth Night I.2)

I agree that since you found it, you deserve to log it. I'm glad you signed the log - that's a nice thing to do for the cache owner.

I also agree with the person who said that you might want to notify the cache owner that you found it accidentally. They might want to change the hiding place.

Welcome to Geocaching! I sure hope Santa comes through for you, GPS-wise. icon_smile.gif

Shannah

quote:
Originally posted by GPSCache:

Technically is should count, only if you find it with a GPS. It DOES NOT count if you don't find it with a GPS, and you have to refind it with a GPS in order for it to officially count.

Well the "official" stash note says otherwise. And I know of a few people that hunt and have found several caches without using GPS.

quote:
IF YOU FOUND THIS CONTAINER BY ACCIDENT:

Great! You are welcome to join us! We ask only that you:

· Please do not move or vandalize the container. The real treasure is just finding the container and sharing your thoughts with everyone else who finds it.

· If you wish, go ahead and take something. But please also leave something of your own for others to find, and write it in the logbook.

· If possible, let us know that you found it, by visiting the web site listed below.

quote:

Technically is should count, only if you find it with a GPS. It DOES NOT count if you don't find it with a GPS, and you have to refind it with a GPS in order for it to officially count.

I do believe it counts. No where on this site can you find that it states you can only find a cache with a GPSr. Many folks find them with just maps and hints. I found my first cache this way.

If you find a cache, no matter how, you can log it. icon_smile.gif

Now true, its much harder to PLACE a cache without a GPS.... but that's another story.

66427_2800.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team 5-oh!:

quote:

Well the "official" stash note says otherwise. And I know of a few people that hunt and have found several caches without using GPS.

WaldenRun has found over 500, and doesn't even own a GPSr. I've done almost 300 without my GPSr, about 63 percent of my total.

ntga_button.gifweb-lingbutton.gif