Installing Metroguide From Hd

I have an old laptop that I want to use for geocaching. The problem is that the CDROM does not work. So to install Metroguide I transferred the contents from the CD's to the HD via my home network from my home computer. When I tried to install from the folder on the HD it still looks for the D drive. I guess I have two questions about this. First, is this topic allowed? I don't want to encourage hacking of Garmin's software. Second, if it is ok, how do you install from the HD. Thank you for any help anybody can give me.

Blind Avocado

What you're trying to do is common for those who want to run MapSource directly from the hard drive without having to have the MapSource CD in the drive. It should be working for you. ;)

When I tried to install from the folder on the HD it still looks for the D drive.

This is unclear to me...is the MapSource install looking for the D drive to install to or is MapSource looking for the D drive (which may be your defunct CDROM drive?) to install from?

The directory structure of the CD copy on the hard drive (that you're trying to install from) should be exactly the same as on the original MapSource CD. Copy the CD contents to a single folder and run the install program from within that folder. You may also want to clear out your windows/temp folder since this sometimes causes problems with previous installs that haven't completed fully.

Edited by SergZak

Thanks for the replies. I am sorry for not being clearer. When I try to install directly from the HD it starts looking for the D drive which is the non working CDROM, to install from. It actually starts to work OK at first, I get the install language selection and the install menu, the license agreement, but when it starts to actually install it tells me to insert disk 1 into drive D. Is there a workaround for this? Thanks again!

I would assume you have only copied what is in the folder from your previous install on the harddrive. This is not all the files that you need. You need to copy the entire contents of the CD including hidden files and get that folder into your hd on your laptop..Only then will it not look for your cd/drive d..

linky for what your trying to do.. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=85615

Edited by top pin