Microsoft Streets And Maps 2005 Question

1Queenand4Jokers

Just got our new (used) iPaq 2210 Pocket PC up and running. We are looking for some type of mapping software good for caching throughout Canada. Our GPSr is a Geko 201 so we don't have the option to put maps on it. Basically we'd use the maps to get close to the caches on the right roads.

Our first big trip will be down through the States - Minneapolis to Boston and then up to the Maritimes.

What program is accurate and easy to use? Can we somehow mark where caches are on a premade map and then just use that one to navigate? We have no software like this at all so are unsure if it is necessary or if it is really better to get good paper maps from CAA for each State/Province.

Any advice would be appreciated. We live in Manitoba so Canadian deals on this or any other software would be welcome.

I don't think you can go wrong with Streets and Trips to start your mapping library. You can import cache locations from Pocket Queries as shown here but I'm not sure how well the pocket PC version works for navigation. I believe you would only get screen shots of the maps on your iPaq and only your location is shown (no routing like whats available with the desktop version)

I'll leave it up to some PocketPC users to provide more comments on this.

At the current "mail in rebate" prices (final cost $20-$25), Streets and Trips 2005 is a GREAT, and CHEAP part of any mapping library. Highly recommended for anyone in the US or Canada. Before I got my Garmin 60C, I used S&T 2004, my iPaq Pocket PC, with my Garmin 12XL and a null modem connector between the two serial cables to display my location, in real time on the S&T map in the iPaq. I picked up a serial cradle for my old iPaq on ebay for $6. It wasn't a beautiful solution, but, it was economical, and, it worked.

So, if you have a serial data cable for your Gecko, and a serial data cable for either your Pocket PC or a laptop, then, with a simple null modem adapter to put between the two serial cables, and some patience, you should be ready to go.

Just set the GPS to communicate in NMEA, 4800 on the communications port, and everything should work fine.

I've done the same thing with Fugawi, but, it costs more, and, is more aimed at off-road, topo map navigation.

If you need more detail, let me know.

Mike

After posting, I wanted to verify that it still worked with S&T 2005, so, I hooked everything up in the van and took a couple of pictuires.

gps-pda_rig.jpg

The Frankenstein rig. It ain't pretty, but, it works.

closeup-pda.jpg

It LIVES ! Close-up of PDA screen, showing directional arrow on map in middle of screen.

LugNuts