Took My Geocaching To A New Level!

mobster75

I haven't been geocaching in about 6-7 months because I've been, well, busy with life and what not. But now that I wanted to get back into it, I happened to try some new things which have really improved my efficiency and increases the fun factor a thousand fold.

I know this is old hat for bunches of you, but I finally ponied up and became a Premium Member ($30/yr is cheap) and discovered GSAK and Spin/Pluck. I wanted to use an old Palm Pilot Personal (1mb mem) I have for now (not using my Palm Vx as it has too much important work stuff in it) so I had to go the Spin/Pluck route.

As always I still have my SporTrak Map for hitting the trails, but I upgraded my car's StreetPilot Colormap to a StreetPilot III and the the auto-route calcuation and guidance it offers works great for directing me as close to a cache as possible (as opposed to me guessing which street to take before).

I've setup a routine of once a week, getting my PocketQuery of 100 nearest unfound caches, Spin/Plucking to the Palm, and GSAK'ing them right into both my SporTrak & StreetPilot units. Now its SOO easy to just hit the trail and once I find a cache, to be able to find the nearest cache from there w/o worrying about printing out reams of paper and "oh.. I didn't print that one..." when I'm 10-20 miles from home. Especially if I just want to randomly go find one. Now when driving around town, I notice how close bunches of caches are to where I'm driving and it makes me want to go find them right then and there B)

Today I was able to find 4 out of 5 caches in just under 2 hours. (Would have found more if I didn't sleep in from an evening at the bar with friends) and that is a new record for me.

i just got my palm lllxe 2 weeks ago, i have 2312 .gpx downloaded to it. paperless is ,in my opinion , the most efficient way to manage cache pages. lost fool got his handspring 2 days ago. i used my infra red port to download to his hand spring all the gpx files i had on my palm. what amazed me me was the compatibility and the time. it took just under 5 minutes for me to "beam" my info to his hand spring deluxe. cachemate auto installed on his unit in less than 10 seconds.

paperless is the way to go!!!!!

regards

archie

My be you can help. I have a palm m130, and I am a priemiem member, and my GPS. i have seen other people that use their PDA's to go, but i can't figure out how to get the Downloaded info to the PDA. I down loaded mobipocket like it sayes to, but I'm lost from there.

Thank you,

cabear

My be you can help.  I have a palm m130, and I am a priemiem member, and my GPS.  i have seen other people that use their PDA's to go, but i can't figure out how to get the Downloaded info to the PDA.  I down loaded mobipocket like it sayes to, but I'm lost from there.

here you go!

Step 1: Ditch mobipocket

Step 2: click here --> http://www.mdgps.org/modules.php?name=cachemate

(CacheMate is available here).

Edited by robert
Mobster, if you're using GSAK, then Spinner is just a waste of time and disk space. GSAK does the spinning so you're just duplicating programs. To get the html files in GSAK, just click on the html icon in the toolbar.

Oh? So I'm just spinning my wheels w/ Spinner, eh? Heh. Will definitely check out GSAK's html encoding options. Thanks for the tip!