Foretrex 101?

Anyone out there use a Garmin Foretrex 101? My Magellean Meridian has, um, died, and to be honest, I never used all of the bells and whistles that it offered, and indeed, used veRy few. As such, rather than pay close to $130 to have Magellan fix it, as well as pay shipping and handling, I'm thinking of going a bit more low-tech with the Garmin Fortrex 101. Any thoughtS?

I ordered one recently. I got it for $99 and free shipping!! I used it the other day to find about 6 caches and I loved it!! It is like wearing a large watch. There are a couple of other threads that talk about the foretrex 201 and the 101, just do a search on foretrex. That is what I did before buying mine. A couple of people noticed a flaw with the way the band is connected to the unit. (little watch pins) I haven't used mine long enough to have a problem with it.

When I took my 101 out for it's first trial, I took my Meriplat and my Vista with me. It seemed that it would lose signal before the Platinum, but kept a lock longer than the vista in most cases.

I find it very comfortable to wear. I plan on really putting it to the test when the snow starts falling when I use it for X-country skiing.

The only hitch that I noticed is that I have to remember to use my other hand to reach into holes looking for caches. I kept using the hand that I was wearing the Foretrex on and it would get bumped on the opening. It's no big deal, just something to get used to.

I would have to say that I give mine 2 thumbs up. :P

Edited by Quintheeskimo66
Thank you both for the info and the links - much appreciated, and will now go purchase a 101.

I'm sure you will enjoy it. I just checked the place that I got mine from (openskygps.com) but the $99 I got mine for is no longer available. It's $129.

I used google to search for mine. I searched on Foretrex and came up with a bunch of sights that had them for sale. I think a couple had it for $115 or so. I made a little chart of the prices and shipping costs. I checked Ebay as well, but most of them seemed to be going for about $130 or more.

Good luck

John