Looking For A Multi-use Gps System

My hubby and I have a couple of etrex's which we use when we eventually manage to get out and about for caching. But I am now looking for something I can use in the car too for street-by-street instructions and which I can also load co-ordinates into for caching.

Has anyone got any thoughts or advice on this? All help will be much appreciated! Especially as i've just passed my driving test and hubby wants to buy it for me for xmas!

Cheers!

Tiffany

P.S In case it makes any difference, I am based in the UK

The Garmin GPS V does auto routing and is great for the auto because the display can be switched between landscape when its sitting on your dashboard and portrait when its in your hand.

It's come way down in price ever since the Garmin color units came out. I've seen it for well under $300 (US). For a little more, the Garmin 60C is a nice choice. It does auto routing with the proper software and has a color display. You can get a 60C for about $350 (US) if you shop around. Its an excellent unit.

Edited by briansnat

Ah, thanks for that info :P I am not sure that either of those two is the kind of thing I am after but while doing some more poking around in old threads I've come across the Garmin Quest. Its more orientated to being used in a car with caching or 'off-road' use being second best but I think if I combine that with my little etrex I should be sorted :laughing:

If anyone else has any other ideas though I would still be interested :P

Thanks again!

Tiffany

I just purchased City Select for my Garmin GPSmap60c and I'm impressed with the auto routing. I experimented with it on the road; I set a destination and then deliberately drove past the turns. It automatically recalculates the route after missed turns and will keep doing it! Pretty cool! <_< Now I just have to get a good bracket to fit my Miata.

Tom

If anyone else has any other ideas though I would still be interested <_<

Thanks again!

Tiffany

Might want to check with the nice folks in the UK forum. I think there are 'why are gps double price here?' threads once in a while.

Not that should affect what gps you want, but if you have a max price, might want to find out if theres a stiff duty/import whatever you call it.