ST Color vs ST Map

Basemap = 10mb vs 2mb

Free Memory = 22mb vs 6mb

3-axis Compass = yes vs no

Barometer = yes vs no

Altimeter = no vs no

Color Display = yes vs no

Price = $200 vs $140

Keep in mind that the SporTrak series have been out for several years now. The color display for the ST Color takes a definite backseat to that of the newer Garmins (eTrex colors, 60CS, 76CS). But then again, these Garmins are in the $300-500 price range. I'm sure these price drops by Magellan are an attempt to clear out older inventory in preparation for the release of newer generation models early next year. Right now, Garmin has the upper hand in technology and Magellan has yet to respond.

I just bought an eTrex Legend at OfficeMax.com. They have a $20 gift certificate rebate, and if you go to http:www.slickdeals.net, and look in their Forum > Coupons, you can find a $30 off coupon. The initial price is $169, and the cost, shipped, with tax is almost exactly $150. Then you get a $20 gift cert.

I went with the Legend because:

• It maps.
  • It's small and light (as opposed to Magellan).
  • It's popular, so software is easy to find (unlike Lowrance).
  • I don't need color.
  • Price is considerably lower than a Vista.

If you want a mapping unit, make sure to save some money for buying mapping software, which ain't cheap. Probably the most useful software is the MapSource MetroGuide. I still want a topo map, but I can't justify its cost.

Costco is selling the ST Color for $200. It has more features than the ST Map:

ST Color vs ST Map

Basemap = 10mb vs 2mb

Free Memory = 22mb vs 6mb

3-axis Compass = yes vs no

Barometer = yes vs no

Altimeter = no vs no

Color Display = yes vs no

Price = $200 vs $140

Keep in mind that the SporTrak series have been out for several years now. The color display for the ST Color takes a definite backseat to that of the newer Garmins (eTrex colors, 60CS, 76CS). But then again, these Garmins are in the $300-500 price range. I'm sure these price drops by Magellan are an attempt to clear out older inventory in preparation for the release of newer generation models early next year. Right now, Garmin has the upper hand in technology and Magellan has yet to respond.

Not all costcos carry the same selection, the Costco in my area at this time does not carry any GPSr, I check every week while I am there. It may depend on the size of the Costco, I have been to some out of my area from time to time that are quite a bit larger than my local one. these stores have a larger selection of merchandise.

Also lets figure in software cost, with the price of the Sport Track Map a person could still get the software needed to load a map into the GPS and stay at around the $200.00 requsted by the poster. With the sport trak color there would be no money left in the budget for software so the extra memory would be useless, I own a Sport Track Color and a Sport trak map. There is plenty of memory in the sport track map for geocachng. Is not that big of a deal to just load a new map into the GPS if your are going to cache in another area.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I posted this in another thread, so I'll repost it here since this thread is getting more activity:

It's major drawback (ST Map) is that it only has a 2mb basemap and 6mb of free memory. You can't get much in the way of maps in such a limited amount of memory. Think of it as an ST Pro with reduced memory.

It has it's place. I picked one up for one of my sons. He'll only use it to load topo maps for hikes into the Cascades and Olympics in his search for the perfect photo. He's an avid photographer, and currently in school to become a professional photographer. He has no need for a car routing unit, so 6mb is plenty of memory to download topo maps for western Washington (his favorite stomping grounds).

I picked the ST Map because of it's price and quad-helix antenna. Western Washington is heavily wooded and the ST Map tracks better than the eTrex Yellows we have as back-up units.

I seem to have the worst luck with Magellans. So far, I've returned one ST Pro, one Mer Gold, and one ST Map because of power issues. The Pro kept shutting itself off for no apparent reason and the Gold and Map both died instantly after I placed batteries in them for the first time. Lemons happen. So far, this ST Map is working great.

Costco was selling the ST Map (w/ neoprene case and MapSend Topo US mapping software) for $200 - $40 instant savings - $30 Costco rebate - $30 Magellan rebate = $100. Not bad. What made it even better, was the $50 rebate I received for the first ST Map I bought and then returned. I received a full refund for the unit and didn't have to return the rebate. So my final cost for the replacement ST Map (w/ case and Topo US) was just $50. Sweet. :anibad:

Not all costcos carry the same selection, the Costco in my area at this time does not carry any GPSr, I check every week while I am there. It may depend on the size of the Costco, I have been to some out of my area from time to time that are quite a bit larger than my local one. these stores have a larger selection of merchandise.

So far, all of the Costcos I've been in lately (south Puget Sound and Portland) have carried not only the ST Color, but also the RoadMate 700. In fact, the Costcos in the Seattle & Portland Metro areas routinely carry Magellan GPS packages of one sort or another. That's where I've purchased all of the Magellans I've owned so far (and then had to return).

I really like the form factor of the SporTrak series, so I'm thinking about getting an ST Color for myself, since I already have the Topo software. For my purposes, 6mb of memory is too limiting. I want to download the entire state of Washington, since I take spur of the moment trips all around the state. With the ST Color, I'll be able to do that. With the ST Map, I wouldn't.

So far, I haven't found a replacement GPSr for the defective Pro and Gold I had to return. The ST Color with it's features looks quite promising for it's price point.

You may want to check out this discussion.  I think wrist mounted is going to be the future.

Foretrex 201 preview

For me wrist sived GPSr just do not cut it they are to small and it is hard to read the tiny screens, but if you must have a small one try the Suunto

http://www.suunto.com/suunto/main/product_...D=1099939847979

Arghh. You didn't read the preview. The Garmin has a much better display and all the normal non-mapping Garmin capabilities. Forget the Suunto and read the reviews.

to me the big down side to the Foretrex is the bulit in Battery, I do not like any item that I may use in the field with a built in battery, If the battery should die in it you end up with an expensive paper weight. My digital camera use AA rechargable battereis and I have had to change the batteries in areas were I could not recharge them or when I did not have time to recharge them.

I have had to change my GPS batteries while caching.

I have had to change my MP3 player batteries

I have had to change my Ham radio batteries

As I said before, I do not like small GPS screens, I could not see myself ever using any of the micro sized GPSr be they from Garmin or Suunto.

The Foretrex 101 uses 2 x AAA batteries and is a tad thicker. Otherwise, it's the same as the 201.

As to screen size, it's identical to the Geko. In fact, the Foretrex is basically a Geko 201 on a wrist. For Geko fans, the Foretrex is a definite consideration.

Sporting an ergonomic wristband, the Foretrex 201 is similar in design to the Forerunner 201, yet is chocked full of GPS navigation features found in Garmin's popular Geko 201 unit.

Some folks don't mind Geko-sized screens. Screen sizes:

Foretrex = 1.4 x 0.9

Geko = 0.9 x 1.4

Rino = 1.4 x 1.4

eTrex color = 1.3 x 1.7

eTrex = 1.1 x 2.1

eXplorist = 1.4 x 1.8

SporTrak = 1.4 x 2.2

60C/CS = 1.5 x 2.2

Meridian = 1.8 x 2.2

I forgot to mention that the idea of a GPS with a bulit in battery is about as stupid as the idea of a GPS with no Data port aka Exlporist 100, 200 and 300

I agree there. If I were to ever get a Foretrex, it would have to be the AAA version. This is the reason why I haven't gotten one of the iPod clones for MP3's. None of them use AAA or AA batteries. Pity.

BTW, the French ad I recently saw about the eXplorist 500 mentioned a Li-Ion battery. I bet it's sealed inside the unit just like an iPod. Double pity if that turns out to be the case.

...the idea of a GPS with a bulit in battery is about as stupid as the idea of a GPS with no Data port...

The idea is so save room and make the unit as thin and light as possible. This GPSr is marketed to folks who need to wear it on their wrist like: marathon runners, wind surfers, kayakers, etc. As noted, they have a model that takes batteries also if you are willing to wear something thicker and heavier on your wrist.

I forgot to mention that the idea of a GPS with a bulit in battery is about as stupid as the idea of a GPS with no Data port aka Exlporist 100, 200 and 300

I agree there. If I were to ever get a Foretrex, it would have to be the AAA version. This is the reason why I haven't gotten one of the iPod clones for MP3's. None of them use AAA or AA batteries. Pity.

BTW, the French ad I recently saw about the eXplorist 500 mentioned a Li-Ion battery. I bet it's sealed inside the unit just like an iPod. Double pity if that turns out to be the case.

We can hope that it is a removable battery. The ham radio I carry has a removable Li Ion and I have extra batteries for it.

I know the Fortrex and the Geko (In my last job before I retired, I was a GPS buyer) Battery issue aside, For me they are to small.

That's an interesting point. What are they (the display, I'm assuming) too small for in the realm of caching?

The display characters are easy to read from a distance (arm's length) on all of these systems (but not not the watch/GPS like suunto's). I'm sure that in some non-caching (ie. nautical navigation) cases I've happily used 8 different types of data on a single screen and the smaller displays do reduce this to 4 types of data (ETA, TIME, DISTANCE, etc..).

However, the smaller display systems get around this simply by allowing you hit a single button to cycle through several user-definable data displays. For me, I just use the compass display (+2 data fields) and a straightfoward 4 data field display customized to do what I want for caching a one button push back and forth and there are 3 other data screens available if I needed to add another few.

I think it's a legitimate issue, but if you factor in the convience and cost of smaller systems it would be helpful to people looking to buy to have examples of problems and workarounds so that they can make the decision that works for them.