Printing Cache Information Sheets

bergs of a feather

On the cache page, right below the waypoint number (the 6 digit number, starting with G) is a line that says "Make this page print-friendly"

In Texas, United States [view map]

Hidden: 10/15/2004

Use waypoint: GCKV70 (what's this?)

Make this page print-friendly (no logs)

This will give you the cache page without any logs, and also a basic map. If you want, when you get to the new page, you can have it print the last 5 logs.

I print out the basic information without any logs (yes, decrypt the hint before printing), and then on the back of that page, I zoom in on the map (to about zoom level 9) to get the roads I need to get there. I then print the map on the back of the sheet. Usually it will all be on one page that way.

We did this for about a year and a half before we upgraded from a Garmin 12 (very good, basic machine) to a Garmin V, which has mapping capabilities, and tells us turn by turn where we need to go.

We have now also gone "paperless" with a basic PDA (my husband does all that transferring and programming), so we rarely print out cache pages now. (We just started paperless caching this summer, still working the bugs out)

I hope this has helped you.

Malia

Edited by Moore9KSUcats
Is there (or should there be) a better way to print off a cache?  I just go in to the cache and hit print and I get this 3-4 page document when all I really want is a 1 page fact sheet about the cache.

If you follow the directions from Moore9KSUcats suggesting the printer friendly page, you've solved half the problem. I like to print mine double-sided, and 2 or 4 pages per sheet. If your eyes aren't too bad, you can get an eight-page printout on one sheet of paper.

I noticed you are a premium member, and therefore have access to PQs. One way I save paper using PQs and GSAK that I use is the condensed HTML option in GSAK. It's under the print menu in GSAK. The condensed HTML strips out everything unimportant and gives you only the bare minimum of the cache page.

Combine condensed HTML with 8-pages per sheet and I can usually get between 20 and 40 cache pages on a single sheet of paper.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z
How do you get multiple Cache pages on 1 sheet?

Using GSAK:

Get your PQ and do whatever manipulation you want to your database. Select Print from the File menu (there is also a print icon). This brings up the Print Dialog box.

You can select either Grid Columns or Condensed HTML. Highlight the Condensed HTML radio button, then click on Print. (alternately, you can click on Preview, which will open a browser with your condensed HTML file so you can see what it looks like, and you can print it from the browswer)

Now your printer's Option box should pop up. Depending on the type of printer you have and the driver and whatnot, you should have an option to print multiple pages per sheet, and/or two-sided documents.

I set mine to two-sided (I have a two-sided printer, but most printers will allow you to manually turn the pages over) and to print four pages per sheet (or sometimes just two pages per sheet). This will give you up to eight pages per sheet of paper.

With the Condensed HTML option, with all the extra stuff stripped from the cache pages, each cache usually comes out to be only a fraction of a page long. I might get 3, 4, or even more caches per page. Multiply by eight pages per sheet.

2861d2e8-5679-4936-8c64-ec593c2b3152.jpg

If your eyes bug out, use two-pages per sheet, double sided. I find it quite legible at that size.

Got it?

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z