Feature Change Consideration...

Prairie Jeepin

Since I am still a newbie I don't know if this has been requested or not before, and I wouldn't even begin to know what to search it under, but.......

Is it possible, and/or would it be too much to ask that the "Mark all forums read and return to index" clickable link be moved to the bottom of the page instead of its current top of list location?

The reason I ask is because I find it very awkward and backwards to have to scroll back up to the top of the page to mark the threads read after sorting through them to the bottom. It makes for wasted time and is not efficient IMHO.

Every other online forum I am subscribed to has this feature at the bottom of the page of listed new topics. It only makes sense to be at the bottom where you can click when done scrolling the list.

What say Mr. Groundspeak :P Good idea? or Bad idea?

PJ - :D

So don't scroll. Press the "home" button to return to the top of the page.

The forum software comes out of a can from Invision Power Board. There are, however, settings that can be adjusted for each implementation. Have you seen other forums using the same software that have the "Mark as Read" at the top?

I wouldn't know because I don't read many other forums. <_<

Is it possible, and/or would it be too much to ask that the "Mark all forums read and return to index" clickable link be moved to the bottom of the page instead of its current top of list location?

Not really. I didn't write this forum software and don't like to touch the code. It makes it difficult to make upgrades to the software.

Maybe you can make a request to the software developers and see if they can add it in the new version of their forums?

http://www.invisionboard.com/

Since I am still a newbie I don't know if this has been requested or not before, and I wouldn't even begin to know what to search it under, but.......

The reason I ask is because I find it very awkward and backwards to have to scroll back up to the top of the page to mark the threads read after sorting through them to the bottom. It makes for wasted time and is not efficient IMHO.

Every other online forum I am subscribed to has this feature at the bottom of the page of listed new topics. It only makes sense to be at the bottom where you can click when done scrolling the list.

What say Mr. Groundspeak <_< Good idea? or Bad idea?

PJ - :)

Most people don't even bother with that button. The forum automatically keeps track of threads updated since the last time you were in that forum.

Leprechauns - tried your suggestion, don't know what you mean (home button on broswer, no home button on web page) but it doesent work.

I have seen no other forums of the same software. Most are V-Bulletin or something else, this is the first place I have seen/used this software type. And all of those I have seen/used have this feature at the bottom of the page.

Jeremy - Thanks for the answer. I am with you about messing with code. I thought perhaps it was a simple checkbox type option that could be specified by the owner. I was just curious, no worries.

Prime Suspect - I use that feature to clear my unread threads/posts so I dont have to sift through 9 or 10 pages everytime I check for new ones. This is NOT automatic to my knowledge, if you don't clear them they will continue to show as unread unless you log out and clear them that way, which is the long way around IMO.

Thanks for the various answers, I will pass this suggestion on to the developer for future consideration in updates and new versions.

PJ :lol:

Prime Suspect - I use that feature to clear my unread threads/posts so I dont have to sift through 9 or 10 pages everytime I check for new ones. This is NOT automatic to my knowledge, if you don't clear them they will continue to show as unread unless you log out and clear them that way, which is the long way around IMO.

When you go into a forum, all threads that have new messages since the last time you entered the forums will be marked with a f_norm.gif or a f_hot.gif if it has more than 50 replies.

If they're marked with f_norm_no.gif or f_hot_no.gif then it doesn't have any new messages since the last time you were in the forums.

Just click on the newpost.gif to open the thread and automatically go to the first new message in that thread.

This gets automatically reset when you exit the forums. No need to click anything or log out to make it happen.

Leprechauns - tried your suggestion, don't know what you mean (home button on broswer, no home button on web page) but it doesent work.

Home key on keyboard ;)

Hey thanks, that's cool. I didn't know about that key.

Not all of us are 'puter geeks with a vast knowledge of things that make the experience so much more enjoyable. :lol:

Oh, and Prime Suspect, thanks for your detailed explanation also. That makes a heck of a lot more sense now. I have always used the "View new posts" link and the "Mark all forums read" links in all the various forums I subscribe to. I guess it's just what your used to.

PJ ;)

Edited by Prairie Jeepin