Does Size Really Matter?

jimkimajcj

I was trying to decide between a few GPSrs, and posted a question previously about them. Got some good advice, and went out ISO that perfect GPS.

Wow, I was surprised by how small (even TINY) the eTrex Legend is!!! The SporTrak Map is not a lot bigger, and the Meridian Gold seems HUGE by comparison! So my new question is... what difference, in your opinion, does size make? We don't have small hands, so it's not an issue of what we can comfortably handle.

To those of you who have mentioned throughout the forums to actually go to the store and look at the GPSrs, I give a hearty THANK YOU!! If I'd bought an eTrex online, I would've been shocked (and possibly disappointed) to see the unit upon delivery! :lol:

Thanks again, everyone!

Edited by jimkimajcj
Garmin Map60C--small, compact, sinks like a rock

Must be one of those volcanic rocks with lots of trapped gas.

See http://www.we3dements.com/geocaching/ItsFloating.MPG

But there've been lots of reports here and in other GPS fora about units that failed to be completely waterproof despite the IPX7 rating. So when boating I put any unit in a clear waterproof AquaPac pouch and that also traps enough air so any model will float easily.

OTOH, when on land I'd like a GPS that's as small and convenient to put in my pocket as possible.

The discussion of whether or not it floats is interesting - if boating, or fording streams, or floating it in your kitchen sink...

But the OP just asked if size matters. The answer to that is a definitive "It depends." How are you planning to use it (besides geocaching, of course)?

- Regardless of size, you want the screen to be big enough and legible, with controls you can manage.

- For cold weather use, bigger might be better, if you have to work the controls while wearing gloves.

- For driving, you may want a bigger screen, easier to see from a dahsboard or windshield mount.

- For hiking or biking, you probably want it smaller; less to pack and/or carry

- Also for biking, size matters for availability of a good mounting system that will actually fit on the handlebars.

Just buy a few different models so you can always grab exactly what you need when you head out.

Size matters. If you are going to hike and carry the thing around smaller is better. Size is why I don't like the Meridians and the Garmin GPS Map units.

Some peopel think the size of both those GPS units is just right. Go take a test drive at your sporting goods store and see what you think.

Were I to buy a hendheld today I'd get the Garmin 60 for size. I don't like the eTrex GPS' now that I'm using one when compaired to my GPS V. The V is a tad larger than I'd like but for what it does I'm happy.

When I started looking, I looked for features more than size. I looked at the MeriPlat becuase it had the features I liked. I also had to be able to handle it with gloved hands as I planned on using it while winter camping... so it inadvertantly became a size issue when compared with the smaller units.

So far, with the brief exception of the Garmin 60cs, I haven't seen another GPS like the MeriPlat that I would want to get my hands on. The expandable memory and the 3-axis compass are two very important features for me.