Macintosh Software

eaglesong

I know that this has been discussed in the past because it let me to finding the program "MacSimpleGPS." However, what I want is a program that will allow me to show all of my waypoints at once in a graphic comparison.

I basically want to either show them all at once on a map or even just on a blank background as long as they are positioned relatively to one another. This would be of immense help in planning geocaching outings as I could put in a whole set of caches I've not yet found and see which are clustered together.

I've found nothing on the macintosh ("Classic" operating system (os 8 an 9)...I HATE the X operating system with a passion) that will allow me to do this.

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Try MagWayMan. It's still in beta, but it will:

• Read .GPX and.LOC files that are dropped onto it,
  • Display the waypoints on a map, even a webmap (control-click on the waypoint to get a popup for available maps)
  • Will display both topo and aerial webmaps,
  • will measure distances on the map by option-dragging,
  • will run under os9 (with carbonlib installed)

If you try it, let me know, good or bad.

craig

p.s. the web server is a little shaky right now. (power outages). if you can't get there right away, try, try again.

A backup of the site can be found here.

Edited by Treasure Bandits

What you need is GPSy. It's great and they've been slow in getting an OSX native version out (it does run under Classic).

GPSy is a DRG reader. That is, it opens huge scanned digital topographic maps. I've found free maps online for almost every state, but sometimes it takes some searching to find the right state GIS web site. I found someone who has put links to most of them here:

http://www.doylesdartden.com/gis/

You can plot all your waypoints on any calibrated map (not just topo maps). There are directions for manual calibration, so you could even plot waypoints on a geologic map if you wanted to.

GPSy also lets you connect to a computer for real-time tracking of your position on the topo maps.

http://www.gpsy.com/