Help Me Decide!

DuncanClan

Hey all,

I have scoured these pages, and have decided to go with the Garmin Legend or Vista. The only differences I can see in them is the amount of memory and the compass/altimeter on the Vista.

What I'm concerned about is the memory.

Is the 8mb on the Legend enough? How many Mapsource maps will I be able to store with 8mb?

My primary use for the GPSr is geocaching as well as mountain biking, fishing and other "basic" navigating functions.

I'm in the Seattle area, and would probably purchase the Western National Parks topo as well as the US topo. Would 8mb be enough or do I need the 24mb?

DC

this is tough for anyone to answer for you.

I did a check with Mapsource topo. I started clicking maps to see when I'd reach 8mb.

think of a rectangle around Seattle with these dimensions.....North to EVERETT......East to Cashmere.....South to Olympia (a little further south than Olympia)...and west to the coastline. This rectangle took 8mb....7.7mb to be exact.

Maybe that will give you an idea. - JamesJM

If you're just loading US Topo maps, then 8MB would probably serve you well. I have not had any experience with the 24K Topo maps, but I suspect that the greater details in those maps will result in 8MB holding a much smaller area.

If you ever want to load MetroGuide maps, then 8MB isn't enough for much of a road trip at all. I cannot even load the 4 map segments which make up the Washington, DC Beltway road system into 8MB.

You might want to post another message about the Garmin 24K map software - see how much of an area can be loaded into 8MB and 24MB.

Also, another thing to keep in mind is that you cannot turn off the altimeter on the Vista. This is a problem for people who want to take their GPSrs on pressurized commercial jetliners - the altimeter only shows the pressurized altitude which is typically only around 5,000 feet or so. I've had my Legend showing me 41,000 feet at 625 M.P.H.

...and I would NOT pay extra for the built-in compass. That's me and about half of the Geocaching community <_<

Edited by Neo_Geo

Trust the habitual upgrader. Spend the extra money and get the Vista.

Better yet, get a Legend C. Better battery life, more memory, USB (uploads take 3 minutes instead of 25 minutes), color screen, autorouting, ...

If you can't afford a Legend C not save money for a month or two more. It is a much, much better unit.

I appreciate all of the comments. It looks to me that I would regret going with the smaller memory.

Interesting about the altimeter. I am a flight engineer, and would probably find either interesting in an airplane, but require neither.

I agree, I don't care either way about the compass. I would only use it as a novelty. I carry a "real" compass as a back up.

To date I am still using an archaic Garmin GPS 38, a map and a compass to find caches. I have never used mapping software (other than the free stuff on the internet). So, just having the mapping GPS is going to be the coolest! I just don't want to out grow it too quickly.

I plan on several road trips on the West coast, so I think I'm going with the Vista.

Again, thanks for all the inputs!

DC

Better yet, get a Legend C. Better battery life, more memory, USB (uploads take 3 minutes instead of 25 minutes), color screen, autorouting, ...

If you can't afford a Legend C not save money for a month or two more. It is a much, much better unit.

A Legend C is only about $70 more than a Vista! A color unit with the same memory as a Vista, autorouting, special Geocaching mode, games and more. Believe me - you'd be happy that you spent the extra money.

I have a 60C (with 56MB). I fill up the map memory in that in about a 5-minute upload. If I used the regular serial port (it has both connections), it'd take about two and a half hours. I would still have bought the 60C if it just had the RS-232 serial connection, but it is nice to be able to upload data so quickly!

Edited by Neo_Geo