Changing Image Size In Posts

Pantalaimon

Pan, I'm not aware of any functionality in the forum software that allows for an automatic re-sizing. I think you need to work with the image offline to make it the right size, and then upload it. Yep, a pain.

For those of you who might need a simple image sizing solution for avatars, forum posts, etc., see the post near the top of the FAQ thread re: IrfanView.

There's a solution, but it involves html and you may have to fiddle a couple times or do a bit of math to get good results.

If you know the size of your image (in pixels), and can make a guess at how big you want the image, just do basic math.. For instance, if your image is 1024x1580 and you want your image to show at 50%, divide each number by 2 and get your new image size (512x790).. then you'll have to plug that into html code.

To do this, manually enter in the < img src =" urlhere.jpg " > command, (take out the spaces everywhere but between the img and src), then add in HEIGHT="#" WIDTH="#" (leaving the space between the two commands and between the img and src) between the img src part.

here's a page that explains it better

edited to add:

If the forum won't accept HTML code, you can't do this in the forum.

Edited by fly46
There's a solution, but it involves html and you may have to fiddle a couple times or do a bit of math to get good results.

If you know the size of your image (in pixels), and can make a guess at how big you want the image, just do basic math.. For instance, if your image is 1024x1580 and you want your image to show at 50%, divide each number by 2 and get your new image size (512x790).. then you'll have to plug that into html code.

To do this, manually enter in the < img src =" urlhere.jpg " > command, (take out the spaces everywhere but between the img and src), then add in HEIGHT="#" WIDTH="#" (leaving the space between the two commands and between the img and src) between the img src part.

here's a page that explains it better

edited to add:

If the forum won't accept HTML code, you can't do this in the forum.

The original question was:

Is there a way to change the size of an image in a post?

You can't use width/height tags in posts.

The use of width/height to alter an image's display size is a very poor practice anyway, and should be avoided.

The use of width/height to alter an image's display size is a very poor practice anyway, and should be avoided.

Actually, its rather good practice - and helps pages that are photo heavy load in better. If you use these tags (even to just state the size of a regular image without resizing it) on a page, the text will show up immediately instead of having to have the images load.

Right, so in all my HTML I always specify the exact size of an image so that browsers load it faster. However, it's still not that great an idea to use height= and width= tags to "resize" an image in the browser, because (1) the browser's resize algorithm is generally pretty awful looking and (2) you're still loading the full-sized image. I really hate going to websites where I see a set of "thumbnails" of larger images, but the thumbnails ARE the full-size images, just sized down using HTML tags. Takes forever to load the index page.

Actually, its rather good practice - and helps pages that are photo heavy load in better. If you use these tags (even to just state the size of a regular image without resizing it) on a page, the text will show up immediately instead of having to have the images load.

Sigh. What I said is correct. Let me repeat, "The use of width/height to alter an image's display size is a very poor practice anyway, and should be avoided."

If you use the size attributes to make it larger than its actual source image, you will get poor results. Browsers don't incorporate the all the algorithms that a good image processing application will use to increase an image size to keep it from looking overly blocky and pixilated. It's better to use a good image processing program to resize the actual image to the size you want, and use that image, rather than relying on someone else's browser to increase the image on the fly.

If you use the size attribute to make the image smaller, the browser still has to download the entire full-size image. If you've ever wondered why it sometimes takes a long time for your browser to display a postage-stamp size picture, it's often because your browser is having to download a huge image, and downsize it on the fly. Again, it's much better to use a good image processing program to resize the actual image to the size you want, and use that image, rather then using the browser. It will look better, and people on dial-up won't curse you.

However, you should always use the size tag to specify the true dimensions of the images in your html pages, so the browser will be able to format the page layout faster. But my original statement was about using the size attribute to alter the source image display size.

Edited by Prime Suspect