Need help with GPS-computer connection

e-clan

After some research and advise from fellow posters, purchased a SporTrak Pro and Streets and Destinations software. Am now trying to download maps to the unit, but my computer won't recognize that the unit is hooked up to the serial comm port. Anyone have similar problems? I tried a message search, but without success. Another question- why don't they make a connection with a USB plug. It seems that it would be much easier.

Thanks for your help.

I don't have this unit, but I will hazard a guess.

Have you tried to boot your computer with the unit connected? I'm not a techie, but I believe that while USB devices can be connected any old time, serial ones often need to be connected before booting in order to be recognized by the pc.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

i dont have a sportrak but a 315. sometimes if another device is trying to use the port the pc wont reconize the gps. most programs like easygps and the like have a setting to test the serial port for such conflicts. you shouldnt need to reboot your computer to use your serial port with the gps. check your system settings and confirm the gps and the pc have the same baud settings also.

Some computers are using Com 1 for IR -- and the plug on the back is Com 2. Software is generally configured to use Com 1 as a default. Changing your software to use Com 2 may solve the problem.

Alternatively, the Garmins have a number of different protocols for sending data to a computer. I suspect the Maggies may be the same. If the software is expecting one protocol -- and your unit is sending another -- you won't be able to establish a link. Making sure the software and the GPS are using the same protocol may solve the problem

I couldn't get my Magellan MAP330 to connect either until I set the BAUD RATE of the magellan to match the highest rate the program was looking for during the connection process. icon_biggrin.gif

Go into your "setup" menu in the Sport Track and set the BAUD RATE to 19200 and see what happens. icon_eek.gif

I'm not Lost, my GPS says I'm right here....no here......no here.

I assume you are using a windows based OS. If you look on the task bar just to the left of the time you will see a few small icons. One of them is most likely your hotsync software (may look like two small arrows in a circle), right click on the icon and choose close. Then when you are ready to use your Hotsync software again just open it as normal and it will start right up.

Hope this helps,

Paul

I have a SporTrak Pro, but am using the Topo software. It should work the same. I had problems until I looked at the back of my computer and realized that there were 2 possible locations to hook the cord to. Only one of them was live. Once I found the live one it worked ok. The other thing was that the speed had to be set at 4800. It will not download faster.

Hope this helps.