Tallying Travelbugs Ethically

Birdsong-n-Bud

I was reading some previous posts, and there was discussion about showing TB numbers in photos as people could cheat and lift the number (I agree, not good). But someone had made the comment that if you view geocacher's statistics, you'll see that many geocachers have more TB's logged than the number of geocaches visited, and that "that would be impossible to have a higher number of TB's than caches found."

I got to thinking about it. As one to follow rules, it seems to me this actually would be possible. If I revisited the same cache I may have found on an earlier date, just for the purpose of moving a TB along quickly, I would add another TB note, but not another found cache log. Or visiting a TB hotel more than once....I wouldn't necessarily log it as found again but I would log retrieving or placing a TB.

So I guess my question....from this newbie to you more experienced geocachers....Is it ethical to revisit an already-found cache for the sake of keeping TB's moving along? Am I misunderstanding the way the website logs TB's? Will it automatically say I found another cache if I don't click "Found it," but just write a note?

Edited by Birdsong-n-Bud

It's possible to get more tb than caches visited, if you visit the 'bug motels' or caches with multiple bugs in them. I found one awhile back and there was atleast 7-10 tb in there. (Having only 10 or so finds at the time I could probably of picked them all up and then had more tb finds then caches.)

I try to only pick TB's up if I can help their mission. Or if they have no objectives with them I might pick-up just to add a laminated mission note to them. I also try to place in a cache that has no other TB's in it.

More to your question I've seen logs where people have revisited to pick-up bugs (mostly jeeps). My guess is it's common practice. I hope this helps.

Thank you for your replies! If I may, I have another question related to retrieving TB's.

When we pick up a toy at a cache, we try to leave something of at least equal value if not more.

What about picking up TB's at a hotel? Should I leave as many as I take? Or if we know we are about to do 3 geocaching hikes, can I take 3 without leaving any? Is this a trade-for-trade type thing? We were afraid to take more than one if we were leaving more than one, as we felt greedy, lol.

Thanks for helping out us newbies.

Thank you for your replies! If I may, I have another question related to retrieving TB's.

When we pick up a toy at a cache, we try to leave something of at least equal value if not more.

What about picking up TB's at a hotel? Should I leave as many as I take? Or if we know we are about to do 3 geocaching hikes, can I take 3 without leaving any? Is this a trade-for-trade type thing? We were afraid to take more than one if we were leaving more than one, as we felt greedy, lol.

Thanks for helping out us newbies.

A cache requiring you to leave a bug if you take one is a silly rule. You may abide by it if you wish but you are not obligated to do so. Your primary concern should be whether or not you can help the bug towards its goal (If it has one). If you find three you can help, take'm.

Travel bugs are not trade items, you are not obligated to leave swag in place of taking a bug. I would also not take a trade item and only leave a bug.

Note: some people aren't going to like you "taking more than your fair share", just smile politely and keep on caching.

Edited by Elf Danach

i don't know how it is in other parts of the country, because i've read a few threads where it seems that hotels were frowned upon. here in tampa florida there are bunches of hotels and we all coexist fairly well. i don't see a problem with taking more bugs that you leave, but as it states in most of the hotel cache pages here, what use is a travel bug hotel without travel bugs? take one leave one is a guideline, but i can't see there being any problems with taking three if you can help with their missions but only leaving one or two.

i regularly check the web site to see if there are any tbs in the area that i can help, even if they're in caches i've been to. also, when i start a bug i generally put it in a cache i've already been to or i drop it in one of my caches.

It's fine to revisit a cache to grab a travel bug, as long as you post a note and not another find. It's ok to have found more travel bugs than caches. Travel bug hotels are there for the purpose of seeing that bugs have an easy place to be dropped off and picked up on the way to somewhere else. The best way to deal with a travel bug hotel, is to check the travel bug descriptions before going out and taking the ones you can help along, and not the ones you can't. It's always good to trade fairly, but you can even take a bug without placing one. I wouldn't suggest emptying the cache of them, it kind of spoils the fun for others. Some people have huge TB numbers because they log bugs they see, even if they don't move them. And they do this at events too, where there are a lot of bugs at once. After all, they did 'find' them even if they didn't move them. My personal opinion about this doesn't really matter. As they say, it isn't about numbers, and it's just a game. Some people play differently. I've never met two humans exactly the same, I wouldn't expect all cachers to cache the same way.